Extended arches and wheel spacers

Hi All,

About a year ago my girlfriend bought me some extended wheel arches...I'm now beginning to get earache because they are still sat in the garage and not on the truck!

Looking at the D44 website it would appear they are the same as fitted to the 110 Trayback;

post-2678-1219775306_thumb.jpg

To fill these wider arches I'm clearly going to need some spacers, searching around i've found many 30mm versions, a few 40mm and a set of 55mm. I'm guessing i'll need roughly a 40-50mm addition to the track (per side) to keep the edge of the tyre in line with the edge of the arch. (I'll fit the arches first and work it out exactly before ordering!)

I've heard many different stories regarding wheel spacers, some say "don't fit them, you'll be going through wheel bearings as fast as you can replace them" others have said they've "not noticed any difference in the wear rate of the wheel bearings."

So...who's running spacers and how do you get on with them?

Is anyone running 50mm+ spacers?

I don't mind replacing wheel bearings every now and again, but I don't want to be doing it every month!! The vehicle is used on the road probably every other day. I've got a set of 33x1250x15 AT's on modulars for the road, and a set of 34x1050x16 jungle trekkers on mach 5's with (staun) beadlocks for the muddy stuff!

Any help greatly received! :)

Thanks,

Matt

I'm guessing I'll need roughly a 40-50mm addition to the track (per side) to keep the edge of the tyre in line with the edge of the arch.

Not my forte, but isn't the point of wider wheel arches so tyres can tuck up under them during axle articulation without touching? As with regular arches the tyre would crush them. And wheel spacers are used to keep wide tyres off the wheel well while turning? So no rubbing on full turn = no need for wheel spacers?

Not my forte, but isn't the point of wider wheel arches so tyres can tuck up under them during axle articulation without touching? As with regular arches the tyre would crush them. And wheel spacers are used to keep wide tyres off the wheel well while turning? So no rubbing on full turn = no need for wheel spacers?

Thanks for the input, I'm currently running those tyre sizes with standard unmodified arches and no wheel spacers, and they don't rub under articulation or turning (I've had to adjust the steering stops a little)

As the arch will be about 40-50mm wider than the standard, I would like to push the wheel out by roughly the same amount, giving the same arch/tyre relationship as before.

Unless i've missed something?

Thanks,

Matt

It seems to me that you're going out of your way to create a problem for yourself ?

You have the arches, but you say yourself you don't need them - so why not leave well alone and stick the arches on ebay etc ?

Makes it easier to get through the tight gaps in the trees as well :)

Been running 30mm spacers for the last 2 years on a disco with no problems, replaced 1 wheel bearing in that time but I expect this is down to normal wear.... Ran big offset rims on my 90 for years and never had to replace a wheel bearing....??? Hope this helps....

Dan

It seems to me that you're going out of your way to create a problem for yourself ?

You have the arches, but you say yourself you don't need them - so why not leave well alone and stick the arches on ebay etc ?

Makes it easier to get through the tight gaps in the trees as well :)

Oh but that would just be simple! I don't think anyone makes ear defenders powerful enough to save me from the ear-ache i'm going to get from SWMBO if those arches don't end up on the truck!!!

Plus I would like to widen the track a little to help a) claw back a bit of steering lock, B) help with on-road stability, c) everyone with the same track width chews up the same bit of ground everytime they go up/down, surely having a different track will be useful? It certainly seems useful to all those little zooki's....... I've not come across to many situations when both my front and left tyres are tight against trees.

Thanks,

Matt

Been running 30mm spacers for the last 2 years on a disco with no problems, replaced 1 wheel bearing in that time but I expect this is down to normal wear.... Ran big offset rims on my 90 for years and never had to replace a wheel bearing....??? Hope this helps....

Dan

Hi Dan,

Thanks very much for the info. The truck in your profile pic's looking pretty mean!!

Matt.