range rover classic v series 111

SIMON64

rangerover v series 3  

55 members have voted

1. 1. which is better off road

• range rover classic
    • series 3

both in the standard form, i'd take a coil sprung over the leafer.

i've driven a s III for a while, and get damn annoyed when coilers walk over things that you have to work to get over.

but for looks, a series wins :P

G

A coiler will walk over stuff, but you won't have more fun than a standard Series. Also, they're far classier :P

Just to be really contentious, I reckon the Freelander is almost as much fun, mainly because everyone expects it to get horribly stuck at the fist puddle - so when you get halfway round a site in it, you look like a driving God. Unless I'm just a driving God, of course :huh: yes, that would explain it... :unsure:

Having a S3 Derv SWB Truck cab as my first Land Rover and '79 V8 RR as my second I can wholeheartedly confirm the RR was a mile better offroad, completely effortless.

The fact the supple coils keep everything civilised means its a damn sight easier to pick a line and stay with it and allow the V8 torque/engine braking to just deal with it. In the S3 offroad its all you can do to stay in your seat, pointing the damn thing where you want to go and throttle control come a definate second :)

Having said that the S3 is better for laughs and doesn't damage as easily as the RR when the red mist comes down.

I agree with Fridge about the Freelander as well, they are a scream offroad :)

Will :)

Similar to Will's comments; my very first (legal) Landy was a SWB S3 petrol and taught me a lot, but having owned (several times!) a beautiful RRC, as well as a couple of 2-doors and 4 Discos (they're the same bloody thing really) i can honestly say that the RRC is effortless to get to somewhere that you really have to work at in the S3. The only difference is where it's tight and twisty, then the S3 has a chance.

Best way of explaining it would be to say that a RRC on A/T tyres will get to the same place as a S3 on M/T tyres.

RRC is relaxing to drive, but i have a massive soft spot for any Series Landy, and i'm trying to buy a S3 109 at the mo!

In standard form the Series will easily without a shadow of a doubt out perform the range rover, but start getting some mods in place and the Range Rover can start to become the better of the two.

My measure is actually managing to get from A to B across bad terrain.

If you changed the measure to being comfortable across the terrain then the RR would be "better".

I can't believe that the voting is in favour of the Chelsea Tractor at the moment? Have you guys never driven a series 3?

In standard form the Series will easily without a shadow of a doubt out perform the range rover, but start getting some mods in place and the Range Rover can start to become the better of the two.

If you changed the measure to being comfortable across the terrain then the RR would be "better".

I can't believe that the voting is in favour of the Chelsea Tractor at the moment? Have you guys never driven a series 3?

Yep as I said above I owned a S3 and a RR classic. The RR wins every time, a lot more axle travel and the V8 low down torque wins.

Will :)

In standard form the Series will easily without a shadow of a doubt out perform the range rover

:blink:

So was mine in my first post!

What the S3 will do on M/T's the RRC will do on A/T's!

Yes, i've had 2 Series 3s, 88" and 109".

And 2 Series 2a's.

And a 90, a 110, a 3.9 Vogue RRC, 2 2-door RRC's, 4 Discos, a Freeloader and a 130 at work.

Whatever the task, unless it's "how deaf can it make you in the shortest possible time", the RRC will win.

it's like saying who's better with a Hammer - Peter Sutcliffe or Handy Andy ?

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Personally I hate both because old Range Rovers break down all the time, and having grown up driving cross country in a Series 3 in the days when there were no roads here I developed a hatred of LR leaf springs which will remain with me for the rest of my days :)