Winch Bumpers

I'm in the market for a new winch bumper. I dont mind if its square or tubular, but I dont want an A bar. Its to accomodate a low profile winch (EP9 or Warn XP type) and needs to maintain as good an approach angle as possible.

So, what have you got? Pictures and advice much appreciated....

Ross

I've got a First Four winch bumper, but is an aircon one so not what you're looking for. Very well engineered though and they make a good range of designs. Only problem I had was their tolerances are a lot better than Land Rover's and was tight fit until I opened a couple of holes up :lol:http://www.firstfour.co.uk/

Another vote for the First Four winch bumper.

Came in handy at at slindon at the weekend when I discovered why no one was going through this (still I almost got through it and got further than most :P ) deceptively gloopy under the water (thats my excuse and I'm sticking to it)

and as ever THIUWP

dsc01794bk7.jpg

I too have a First Four bumper, the standard Defender one. I bought it with an EP9 winch as a package which included everything needed for fitting and wiring. I found First Four a pleasure to deal with and the bumper seems well made and finished.

Happy to recommend them.

Phil.

I too have a First Four bumper, the standard Defender one. I bought it with an EP9 winch as a package which included everything needed for fitting and wiring. I found First Four a pleasure to deal with and the bumper seems well made and finished.

Happy to recommend them.

Phil.

I got the LP8500 and bumper package and have been very impressed. First Four were fantastic, I got the stainless steel recovery points and some shackles and one of the shackles was poorly cast on the pin so didn't fit the ecovery point, First four sent out 2 new shackles straight away and I got to keep the slightly oversize ones for ropes etc.

As for ARB I had one on my Disco and it was pretty rocking but a bit of overkill really

I have a First Four one too. Personally I'm not that keen on tubular design and prefer standard bumper look, but it was only one I found that had good aproach angle properties. As for winch, I'd recommend a TDS 9.5 from David Bowyer over lowline Warn or EP9.5.

Here are some pics..

with TDS..

080727_0117Medium.jpg

with previous ep9..

winch016Medium.jpg

winch012Medium.jpg

winch011Medium.jpg

Cheers

Steve

Thanks for all the replies so far - seems like First Four have a good reputation.

Does anyone have a square type one? Maybe Devon or Southdown? Just want to compare before I decide...

Steve - it was your truck I had in my head, just couldnt remember who it belonged to! Would you say there was room/access to mount a pair of spotlights either side of the winch on that bumper?

Cheers,

Ross

Thanks for all the replies so far - seems like First Four have a good reputation.

Does anyone have a square type one? Maybe Devon or Southdown? Just want to compare before I decide...

Steve - it was your truck I had in my head, just couldnt remember who it belonged to! Would you say there was room/access to mount a pair of spotlights either side of the winch on that bumper?

Cheers,

Ross

lol that threw me, I wondered how you knew I was called Steve for a minute :P

There is enough room between the rear face of the tube and the winch motor and winch gear set to make up some L shaped brackets to mount some spots either side of the winch..

winch018Medium.jpg

Southdown make some good bumpers, the ones I know are tapered rather than square. Mantec make a good standard looking square bumper, but it's also at standard height so approach angle is same as standard bumper.

Cheers

Steve

D44 bumper - Very strong and good approach angle.

Thats a real nice looking truck mate. Thats more what I'm after bumper-wise - when I said straight, thats the sort of thing I meant. Will it take a low profile winch or is it tailored to the 8274?

Do the Southdown ones look like that too?

Ross

Mine is a D44 made but the Same as the Southdown variant

inline with Chassis rather than above the rails

Yep, I like that - but as I've told you before tony, I like your whole truck, nice and simple looking - just wish I could afford it!

Did you ask Devon to make you up the bumper? What sort of money was in that?

Ross

Southdown sell them I just stopped at D44 on the way home and Simon made it for the next week

Cost £250 when I had it made.

I had a new side grafted on by Dave at Southdown after a tree incident.

there are better bumpers re approach angle available now days.

Thanks for the Compliment.

I'm liking it a bit more after Last Saturday

Thats a real nice looking truck mate. Thats more what I'm after bumper-wise - when I said straight, thats the sort of thing I meant. Will it take a low profile winch or is it tailored to the 8274?

Do the Southdown ones look like that too?

Ross

I believe Devon do a very similar bumper for the low-line winch’s. I know the D44 kit is a tad on the expensive side but its very well made, you pay’s your money………………………

post-951-1219946505_thumb.jpg

I have a Devon 4x4 bumper, which links in to the steering guard, it looks the same as White 90's but mine sits higher or it seems that way. I love it for approch anglesit gives its fantastic, the other one I would look at is the Gywn Lewis bumper.

100_4100.jpg

100_4102.jpg

100_4068.jpg

100_4042a.jpg