R380 & Lt 77 Bell housing difference ??

zim

Evening,

Just wondering if someone could shed some light on this for me.

I've got an LT77 out of a v8 disco / rangey, but it's too long for my current build :( Is it possible to get an r380 bellhousing and swap for a shorter input shaft (i'll use a conversion plate on my v8 engine) ?

The easier option would be to get an R380, but battling to do so that is close enough / not silly money !

Thanks

Gordon

Edit : on searching the internet, i'm a little confused. Do the r380 and lt77 use the same bellhousing ? and so meaning, i need a stubby one.

I've got a standard Tdi (300) R380 bellhousing in the garage if thats any use?

hi

any chance you could measure it so i can see how long they are, just to give me an idea. i don't have an R380 which i can measure off at the moment.

thanks

Gorrdon

Guest diesel_jim
hi

any chance you could measure it so i can see how long they are, just to give me an idea. i don't have an R380 which i can measure off at the moment.

thanks

Gorrdon

No problem, it's 246mm end to end.

this is the transfer box in the position i want it to stay in (near enough!) - to make prop shaf selection easy !

n667984881_1288347_5845.jpg

this is why i need to move the engine back ! it's in the way of the front panel (this is an 88")

n667984881_1288346_5432.jpg

the bellhousing is approx 12" long

n667984881_1288345_5026.jpg

my other thought, was to get a gearbox out of a normal defender and use a conversion plate on the v8, thus the overall length will be less than 12" i think. my conversion plate is approx 2".

n667984881_1288348_9245.jpg

thoughts ???

Didn't someone on here cut & shut a bellhousing? and TIG the two halfs together? (with the shorter shaft, obviously :rolleyes: )

yes, i saw that. but to be honest, i don't have the access / ability to do that.

got an LT77 out of a 200tdi defender today which i'm going to use with a v8 conversion plate.

this show's the difference between the disco & defender box's :

n667984881_1293056_4982.jpg

loads of space between the bulkhead and the engine :

n667984881_1293060_6358.jpg

the gearstick is a touch too far forward, so i'll cut it off and weld it back in the desired position.

n667984881_1293059_6000.jpg

now to find some wide angle props / double cardon.

G

sorry if this is a threadjack, but aside from length are the flange patterns the same?

reason I'm asking is I'm trying to work out whether it's possible to fit a Merc 617 to an R380, I know people have made adapters for Series boxes but I can't find anything specific to the R380

mine I believe is the 'short bellhousing', S/N goes 51AxxxxxxxJ from an ex-mod 2.5NAD

sorry if this is a threadjack, but aside from length are the flange patterns the same?

reason I'm asking is I'm trying to work out whether it's possible to fit a Merc 617 to an R380, I know people have made adapters for Series boxes but I can't find anything specific to the R380

mine I believe is the 'short bellhousing', S/N goes 51AxxxxxxxJ from an ex-mod 2.5NAD

the flange pattern for the normal defenders + series' are the same (as they all bolt to the same engines), just the V8 has a different pattern - hence the reason for using a conversion plate.

HTH

G

• 1 year later...

Hi everybody

Whether there are gearboxes with a short bell housing for the v8 engine?

Whether there is a possibility to receive more detailed information on it?

Whether there is a possibility to order the complete set of spare parts for alteration LT77 or R380 gearboxes with a short bell housing for V8?

With Best Regards,

OffRoadPower Team, Moscow, Russia

Edited by Miserableolgit
Please submit your post once only. See thread at top of forum regarding new users.

Hi everybody

Whether there are gearboxes with a short bell housing for the v8 engine?

Whether there is a possibility to receive more detailed information on it?

Whether there is a possibility to order the complete set of spare parts for alteration LT77 or R380 gearboxes with a short bell housing for V8?

With Best Regards,

OffRoadPower Team, Moscow, Russia

If I understand you correctly, Ashcroft transmissions may be able to help.

How exactly are you dealing with the fact that the diesel input shaft is not correct for the V8??

We mean full short bellhousing kit for V8 with correct input shaft

If I understand you correctly, Ashcroft transmissions may be able to help.

At Ashcroft: "...They can be fitted to the 2.5 N/A, 2.5 petrol and the 200 TDI engines, anywhere the 4 Cyl LT77 is fitted."

Thank You very much for link, Bush,

but we seek the short bellhousing for 3.9 V8