Disco II diff lock

JimAttrill

I do know that early 99 MY Disco II's have the mechanism for a diff lock, but no lever. Later models have no mechanism in the box, and later ones have a full proper diff lock. In which MYs were these changes made, and do they apply across the board or to some models only? People keep asking me these questions, and I'm not really sure.

I don't think there is a 100% answer Jim. The diff lock bits inside the transfer box were phased out "somewhere around" the 2001/2002 model year transition (i.e. late 2001 build) but I have never seen a definite answer. Certainly most (maybe all) 2002 model year vehicles didn't have the guts in the t/box, mine hasn't.

It was reintroduced on the facelift 2003 model year (the one with the goofy headlights), but only as a factory option. Whether the vehicles which didn't have it fitted, used the transfer box with the bits inside, or the one without, I don't know - all the ones that came in here were fitted with the option so they were fully equipped.

You can certainly buy the bits to upgrade the transfer box internally for vehicles like mine - Ashcrofts do it. However I have not bothered because for what I use the Discovery for I didn't think it justified the cost - if I am going anywhere needing diff lock I will usually be in the Defender :)

Thanks Steve. I saw a facelift one the other day that didn't have it fitted, so maybe the option was not common here. Most Disco IIs are shopping mall specials so don't really need to have one. (This may change as they get cheaper).

I was a little concerned when I realised my D2 did not have a diff lock. However after camping on a very muddy field on quite a slope I had no problems getting off.

Solo the traction control light flashed a couple of times and when leaving with 1600Kg’s of caravan on the back traction control was working hard but grip was maintained and we got through with no problems.

I am now quite happy to trust the traction control and not have the bother of diff lock.

JIGINC

Traction control is fine until it throws a hissy fit, you get the "3 bongs" and are left with nothing - not a major drama if you are in a muddy field 20 yards from the road, rather more so if you are in a muddy swamp 20 miles from anywhere :)

Actually I don't rate it highly even when it is working, because the wheels need to be spinning for it to operate and in a lot of off road conditions, that is exactly what you don't want because once you churn up the surface you might as well give up. It's very good on snow and ice though.