DO you fancy a new PUMA 110?

McS Junior

Guest diesel_jim

It's crazy isn't it.... brand new and already surplus to requirements....

And i bet they're selling them at a loss (to us, the taxpayer...) makes you want to get the penpusher who ordered them and slap him.

unless of course, it was ME buying one.... then i'd be happy! :D:D:D

And i bet they're selling them at a loss (to us, the taxpayer...) makes you want to get the penpusher who ordered them and slap him.

I wouldn't be so sure, the amount they buy must give them good discount, maybe they will make a profit.

That's how the car hire companies work and why you usually have a nearly new car.

Me thinks this is a screenscrape from here:-

surpluscars

now see how big a waste of money it is - RRVogues, 300tdis, TD5, Puma, D3, RRSport - theyve got the lot - and have a laugh at the qtys they have of each of the white defenders - which I guess may be NATO...

You can walk into any main dealer and order the exact same vehicle. There is a small saving in price over bodied varieties; the idea being that for commercial users who want cherry pickers, tippers, etc. you do not pay for what you don't want and the fitting of these bits does not require removal of bodywork.

I would imagine that the reason for export only will be due to the original supply agreement that Land Rover has with the MOD & VAT implications.

Mark.

So that's what you've be doing with your time! Manby was well worth the trip.

I was up for it, I had some thing to pick up in Grimsby anyway, but my driver couldn't be convinced :rolleyes:

We'll be there next month, whichever site it's at, gotta get these diamonds used up!

Best shut up now before the OT police arrive :ph34r:

PS 3 seconds, it's close at the top ;)

You can walk into any main dealer and order the exact same vehicle. There is a small saving in price over bodied varieties; the idea being that for commercial users who want cherry pickers, tippers, etc. you do not pay for what you don't want and the fitting of these bits does not require removal of bodywork.

I would imagine that the reason for export only will be due to the original supply agreement that Land Rover has with the MOD & VAT implications.

Mark.

Is the Isle of Man in the EU?

Cheers

David

They need to be cheap. A main dealer contact of mine was telling me his LR two dealerships sold a total of one car between them the other week and took a £1000 loss on it to shift it. Had a MUD customer in the other day with new 08 model 90 who had managed to haggle a £4k saving on list.

Gotta be type approval... i can't imagine that a Td5 or a puma is any less emmisions friendly for RoW spec thesedays.

Afraid so - even the Puma is different. The UK models are EU4 spec designed to run on EU grade diesel; the ones that come here are MMR EU2 spec which have a different level of tune designed to run on poor quality fuel and don't have all the emissions stuff fitted. I don't honestly know what the physical differences are (i.e. I couldn't look under a bonnet and tell you which was which) but I do know you can't take one back into Europe as-is because you won't get an EU certificate of conformity on a non EU vehicle.

Having said that they still look pretty clean in terms of no black smoke etc. What they will look like in a few years remains to be seen :)

The export only thing as exactly as someone has said - type approval. These can be run in the UK, but are subject to an SVA. However as they are new vehicles you have to get through the enhanced SVA (not the much less stringent one people who build hybrids etc take).

They can get through this, but there is a surprising amount of work required to get them through. They get as anal as having to fill all the unused holes in the rear crossmembers with rubber gromets due to the sharp edges. Simply putting bolts in the holes wont do as the bolt heads themselves have sharp edges...........thats just the tip of the iceberg!!!!

Jon

Well you'd think that wouldnt you........

Trouble is these are plainly not uk spec so therefore have to be SVA'd as the type approval only covers the uk spec machines. I'm told landrover get away with it basically becasue the defender has been in production for so long it predates some of the legislation.

Bear in mind that a UK spec defender will not pass the enchanced SVA unmodified. It gets into silly silly things like the switches on the dashboard being too sharp etc etc

Jon

Jon, Don't know where you get your info from but I actually bought a 110 through Whitham and the SVA was a "administrative burden" and nothing else. I did not need to modify or change anything, ah and the car has my favourite 300tdi engine in it!!!

If anyone has the chance go and have a look at Whitham SV. 60 brand new cars in storage, 2500 Sankeys on their yard, tanks, trucks the whole lot. Very impressive!!!

In case anyone has no interest in doing SVA themself (I had someone else doing the paperwork for me) than you can buy the vehicles through dealers as well and they do SVA for you. Because it is a loop hole in the system no-one really advertises this service but check out Keith Gott or Nene Overland and they are more than happy to sell you one incl. SVA