109" S3. Should i?

Dunc

Well it looks fairly average, if you want a Series then it's a cheap enough bet. I'd be a bit wary that there's a hint it'll need some welding and there are no pictures of the chassis or bulkhead that may give away just how bad things are.

Then again, can one ever put a price on an example of automotive perfection? B)

For that kind of money it will always be project.

Doors look rough but bodywork looks straight. You would need to see the chassis, I suspect it may be rough.

It really depends how much you want a 109 and how much time you have.

Personally if my budget was around £500 I would get a (not too rusty) disco, spend a few £'s welding sills and rear floor and go playing.

For that kind of money it will always be project.

Doors look rough but bodywork looks straight. You would need to see the chassis, I suspect it may be rough.

It really depends how much you want a 109 and how much time you have.

Personally if my budget was around £500 I would get a (not too rusty) disco, spend a few £'s welding sills and rear floor and go playing.

Why a disco? you cant beat the feeling of driving a nice old series landrover. i recenlty picked up a series 3 88 station wagon that only needed a rear cross member before sailing throught the MOT its not a heap either with a recently replaced bulkhead and fully re trimmed intterior and it cost me just £246!!

Cheers guys.

Welding's not a problem, and i've got a rather peachy bulkhead in my shed. ;)

Had 4 Discos, couldn't have another unless i scratched my Rangey shaped itch first too!

I feel a mrsuperpants pm coming on as well...

:D

Buy it - 109's are great vehicles. First two Land Rovers I had were 109's - it's like driving a big skip :)

Les.

LOL :lol:

Never thought of them in that sort of way Les!

I've had a S3 109 before, and it is a cracking tool. I like the idea that the dogs can go in the back and we can tow pretty much anything with it.

Then last night the Mrs found a 6-cyl 109 at a dealers for £250 on ebay which unfortunately is bloody miles away, but is supposedly MOT ready and a full 5-door Station Wagon.

I think she's just trying to confuse me now.

I would be inclided to avoid the 6cyl as parts are somewhat difficult to find these days...

They're nice when they're working, not far off a basic V8 for torque and burble. The 6cyl have the biggest brakes (shared with Stage 1 V8). Exhaust manifolds crack for a pastime (£100 a pop) and engine parts make rebuilds uneconomical, but if it dies there's always a V8, which will give better power & MPG. For the money it could be a good buy.

Just spoken to the dealer and now i've got his postcode i've found he's 5 hours away from mine.

If you put that into context of fuel collecting the thing etc, then it makes it quite expensive. He does have a chap who'll deliver, for £1.25 a mile charged both ways which makes it about £600 for delivery! Next...

I've heard some horror stories about 24v electrics being expensive and a bitch to fix if things go wrong, which makes me nervous about Superpants' 109, so i guess i'll have a poke at the first one i showed you on eBay.

Thanks guys. :)

24V stuff isn't that scary really at all -if it goes wrong there are plenty of people selling off the large components (Generator, and the two boxes) on ebay all the time, it also gives you the ability to run nearly 2.4KW of electrical goodies without having to upgrade anything ;)