Something is rattling...

I know a lot of people hate these threads as it could be so hard to determine a problem from a description, however hopefully someone can point me in the right direction...

When coasting, or chaging gear, of if running in the wrong gear (and the engine begins to 'stutter'), a loud metallic rattle can be heard. It sounds like it's coming from under the drivers seat, but it's hard to tell as it is only audible when moving!

There seems to be no other factors, speed, bumps, brakes, steering etc do not affect it, only on coasting, gear changes or if running in the wrong gear.

Can you help? MOT is due in two weeks, so need to get this sorted asap.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Sam

damn, all of a sudden tonight this has got ten times worse :-(

Also there is a really low 'grinding' type noise coming from the rear - diff?

I'm not mechanically minded really so unless this sounds like a common problem, i suppose i better book it into the garage.

Thanks

I also got a similar problem when cruising in a to high gear in my 90 300 TDI It ia a high rattling noice, but it sounds like it comes from the driversside footwell... it really gets me. Maybe its just because og all the somewhat skinnhy plates a LR is made of?

Mikkel

just had another look, and a drive with the middle seat out.

The noise sounds like it's coming from either the transmission brake, or at least somewhere between that and the rear diff. The rear diff is very oily, but there is no noise coming from it (i'll get the garage to look at the diff seals before the MOT)

Could it just be that the handbrake is worn or something loose inside? When in neutral, with the handbrake off there is a fair few inches of play in the big drum ( i can move it three or four inches either way by hand)

What do you think?

Thanks

Sam