TD4 Crankcase Filter

rustymark

:blink:

Crankcase filter was due for a change on my TD4 so i thought better do it as doubt it had ever been changed in its life.

Shopped around for a bit and it turns out that BMW are aware failure of the filter ( ie blocked) will cause pressurisation in the engine and blow oil through turbo / back up dipstick tube.

They have produced a modified filter housing. I will post some pics on here. Fitted the mod kit tonight and it works a charm - it no longer has the filter but has a plastic insert with what looks like 2 cones in it. Weird but effective - there is nothing to block so no problems!

:blink:

Crankcase filter was due for a change on my TD4 so i thought better do it as doubt it had ever been changed in its life.

Shopped around for a bit and it turns out that BMW are aware failure of the filter ( ie blocked) will cause pressurisation in the engine and blow oil through turbo / back up dipstick tube.

They have produced a modified filter housing. I will post some pics on here. Fitted the mod kit tonight and it works a charm - it no longer has the filter but has a plastic insert with what looks like 2 cones in it. Weird but effective - there is nothing to block so no problems!

ok as promised photos of old landrover part and new bmw modification - along with part numbers. approx cost £36 brand new - about the same as the filter alone - kit comes with all new rubber seals.

Please note this is NOT a Landrover dealer part - it is the same part as fitted to the same engine in 3 series BMWs!

And... its oily as i wanted to make sure it worked fine BEFORE i posted and you all rush out, buy it, fit it and then go bang and blame me!

post-5375-1219953238_thumb.jpg

post-5375-1219953279_thumb.jpg

post-5375-1219953420_thumb.jpg

Hi Rustymark - thanks for image.s good work, i will fit this mod next time the filter is due for replacement, although- my TD4 is in Barrets Canterbury at the moment, they are checking the IRD unit, it seems to be getting noisy? (whine) as the car has AA warranty i thought this was the best place locally being LR Dealership. If it proves to be a replacement IRD (approx 1K) i may decide to update to a later model (if the boss (Mrs) agree,s)

Regards Chris H.

• 4 weeks later...
Hi Rustmark - do you have the LR part number and price? for the modified filter & housing.

Thanks Chris H

Hi rustymark and everyone

Just got my Freelander commercial with 61k on the clock, its been standing around a commercial dealers yard for ages and although i'm assured its been serviced i reckon its was just oil/filter and air filter changes.

Reading your posts on this cyclonic filter i reckon i should change it ASAP. I have seen your BMW part and will give that a try. I have downloaded the RAVE but cant seem to find the filter on it can you give me a clue as to where it is. I tried searching for breather, filter, crankcase etc but cant imagine why it doesnt come up in the results. I understand its not a LR part but i'm interested in just finding my way around the RAVE

Regards Matlock Mike

no problem.

there is a genuine LR part but the BMW part performs better....anyway....here goes.

Best done with cold engine...open bonnet and remove the plastic cover on top of the engine.

Next remove the air cleaner cover.

You will then see the breather hidden away behind the injectors.

You'll need to disconnect injector flow by pipe (lever out metal u clip and pull upwards gently) to get enough room to remove the assembly.

if you need more info message me!

Hi,

but you have a Free Td4 2002? I have controlled on the EPC but I have not found nothing.

James

Hi,

The filter you are after is listed as:-

Valve assembly - depression control

Part No.s are:-

Up to (V) 3A255528 STC 4733

3A255529 to (V) 4A999999 8510224

5A000001 on 8510298

Hope this helps.

Scrumps

Hi

Just quickly - what determines this filter needing changing most - mileage or age, and regarding these when are the problems occurring? I recall that the BMW 320d had quite a few problems with the turbo's failing and destroying the engine - is this the same thing? :unsure:

Thanks

Matt

Hi

Just quickly - what determines this filter needing changing most - mileage or age, and regarding these when are the problems occurring? I recall that the BMW 320d had quite a few problems with the turbo's failing and destroying the engine - is this the same thing? :unsure:

Thanks

Matt

Hi, Stratstone landrover told me they were in the car for life at first but then after a few blown turbos they changed that to every 5 years, now they recommend every 2 years regardles of mileage as a lot of stop starts can block it up.

pete.

manual says turbo change is a fairly major jobby - sub frame off ird out to gain access.

prevention better than cure in this case!

as a side note since fitting the modified BMW TD4 part to my freelandy the engine seems a little more noisier in tick over but when out on the road the performance has improved - its also much much quieter than it was and seems a bit more responsive. may be my imagination but hey ho i'm happy.

oh - and no oil being blown by now - intercooler clean as is Egr valve

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I think the replacement of the crankcase breather filter is a relatively new item. It was (allegedly) replaced on my 53 for the first time in March 07.

After this date servicing is done by self.

Just a quick note -Landrover say change the filter every 12000 miles ,come into effect begining of 2007 - Read my post and find out what happens when you dont.

• 1 month later...

Hi Declan

It is a BMW part - BMW dealership only.

I note from the forum that it fits my TD4 fine (1A....chassis series) BUT needs a small plastic lug 'modifying' to fit later engines - however it does still fit.

My oil change is due soon so it'll be coming off again and I will be looking to see whats occurred in there and giving it a flush out with brake cleaner before refitting!

• 3 weeks later...
Hi Declan

It is a BMW part - BMW dealership only.

I note from the forum that it fits my TD4 fine (1A....chassis series) BUT needs a small plastic lug 'modifying' to fit later engines - however it does still fit.

My oil change is due soon so it'll be coming off again and I will be looking to see whats occurred in there and giving it a flush out with brake cleaner before refitting!

Hi Rustymark

Just wondered how your cyclonic filter conversion is going? any problems yet? thinking of changing mine. Rob.p

• 4 months later...

Hi, I'm interested in doing this mod, but the price at the 'only' local BMW dealer is unbelievable!

Notwithstanding they don't stock it and I would be waiting either way, I think it would be much cheaper if someone in the UK were to buy the 11127799224 assembly and post it to me.

Anyone willing to help out a fellow freeby operator? I can re-imburse you by paypal....

Hi, I'm interested in doing this mod, but the price at the 'only' local BMW dealer is unbelievable!

Notwithstanding they don't stock it and I would be waiting either way, I think it would be much cheaper if someone in the UK were to buy the 11127799224 assembly and post it to me.

Anyone willing to help out a fellow freeby operator? I can re-imburse you by paypal....

Just posted my story after changing mine today, ( the rasberry post..) cost in the UK for the whole unit is 42 GBP.

Not sure of postage hit to Oz, box is 20x15x6 cm and weighs about 180g.

Would like to help, ....am of to europe for 3 weeks tomorrow, will look up this thread when I return.

Mike

• 5 weeks later...

Hi, back from Europe, have you sourced the part yet?

I can provide the URL for the BMW dealership I sourced mine from. Cost £42 GBP.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Still fitted and as the ad says doing exactly what it says on the can.

I have dropped the oil last week and checked the bmw bit - it was as clean as - no sign of any blockages but washed it out with brake cleaner anyway!

M.

Hi rustymark i am thinking of doing the same conversion on my 2004 & 2005 freebies Do you know if the BMW part will fit without any modifications, thanks any feedback will help