To Defender or Defender

you could try a nissan patrol commercial. the RAC have them, but i've not seen any others in the uk. You can buy the commercial versions in the republic of ireland, or get a 2nd hand one from there, so maybe your nissan dealer could help you.

to be honest when i see rusty 5 year old td5's sitting about i wonder why people are still happy to pay upwards of £20k for the things.

I've seen quite a few XS Utilitys around on the internet - there's a county at James French at the moment!

Link Here

Plus there are the tax and business incentives - so if I were to order one it would be with the util pack (no chance of that though ;))

Thanks for that. That has given me some hope. Its the business incentives that I am after.

Cheers

David

Had the test drive, two days in a 90 van.

Loved the engine torque, but the clutch ain't so lovely. Hasn't changed since the Series 2 I drove 30 odd years ago.

Square spacehopper in the ride department, but I think a 110 would be slightly better with more weight and longer wheelbase.

I am not actually sure whether I could live with one for long distance driving.

Needs more thought.

Cheers

David

Thanks for that. That has given me some hope. Its the business incentives that I am after.

Cheers

David

David,

There are no difference in tax or VAT status for the Station Wagon, whether it has the windows or the utility pack. That is 100% fact, I can go into further deatil if you need.

Mark.

I think a 110 would be slightly better with more weight and longer wheelbase.

Needs more thought.

Cheers

David

a 110 is much better, no nodding dog syndrome,

my 110 goes everywhere, it's my only vehicle, just love driving it all over the country.long distance is no problem, just a big adventure :D

Loved the engine torque, but the clutch ain't so lovely. Hasn't changed since the Series 2 I drove 30 odd years ago.

Square spacehopper in the ride department, but I think a 110 would be slightly better with more weight and longer wheelbase.

Needs more thought.

Cheers

David

David

What you might need are some of these

http://www.mudstuff.co.uk/MUD_Seat_Rails.html

My nas like all nas's does not have a rear bulkhead so much more room than a standard 90

A 110 van or double cab should have more leg room? but then I have not driven a 110 for many years.

BTW welcome to LR4x4

Dave

David

What you might need are some of these

http://www.mudstuff.co.uk/MUD_Seat_Rails.html

My nas like all nas's does not have a rear bulkhead so much more room than a standard 90

A 110 van or double cab should have more leg room? but then I have not driven a 110 for many years.

BTW welcome to LR4x4

Dave

Leg room wasn't really the problem, I'm only 5'9". Its the width and the clutch operation thats spooking me a bit. After leaving the Defender at the dealers I jumped into my Fiat 500 and couldn't feel the clutch biting point for about 10 minutes of town driving. God that was embarrasing!! Should have put L plates on. I do tend to jump from car to car on a regular basis and don't have this problem at all.

I'm still waiting for the dealer to give me a price, as that will be the real defining point, although I am a bit worried about all the recalls that the Puma seems to have had in its short life. In fact the demo unit was waiting for a transmission part and it had only done a couple of thousand miles since new.

Cheers

David

David,

There are no difference in tax or VAT status for the Station Wagon, whether it has the windows or the utility pack. That is 100% fact, I can go into further deatil if you need.

Mark.

Interesting, I am guessing the payload at over a tonne doesn't change whether you have windows or not. I still think the utility might be better for me as I intend to rack the back for all the cack I seem to need to carry, and having it all in its proper place makes for a safer driving and working environment.

Cheers

David

• 3 months later...

Jings is it nearly 4 months since I started this trek.

Update.

£34K for a new 110XS utility with bits seemed a bit ridiculous.

So I went on the hunt for something used.

Then the Company decided that I didn't need a 4x4, but I think I do, so agreement was reached that if I bought it myself the Company would pay for any towing I did.

Then I found a 91 200TDI 110CSW, in bright red, with a dodgy steering box. I understand that a recon box is not much more than £100, but a new one is fortunes. The owner wanted £2.5K, which I have so far battered down to £2K.

Its solid underneath, has modulars with ATs on, 3/4 rack, step ladder, rear light guards, etc etc. It has just passed an MOT, and other than the hyperactive steering drives as well as the 2008 one I drove last year.

I will probably upgrade the seating to XS spec, and put a cubby in the front, but other than that it seems OK.

All thoughts appreciated.

TIA

David

Agreed, perhaps TATA will start making them in India and take £10k off the price!

Then I found a 91 200TDI 110CSW, in bright red, with a dodgy steering box. I understand that a recon box is not much more than £100, but a new one is fortunes. The owner wanted £2.5K, which I have so far battered down to £2K.

Good choice for a second vehicle. It won't do distances like your double cab did but it will last a lifetime (in the long run you may have to replace everything though)

Agreed, perhaps TATA will start making them in India and take £10k off the price!

Being an old cynic when it comes to corporates, I would say it's more likely that they would start making them in India and make £10K more profit...

Jings is it nearly 4 months since I started this trek.

Update.

So I went on the hunt for something used.

Then the Company decided that I didn't need a 4x4, but I think I do, so agreement was reached that if I bought it myself the Company would pay for any towing I did.

Its solid underneath, has modulars with ATs on, 3/4 rack, step ladder, rear light guards, etc etc. It has just passed an MOT, and other than the hyperactive steering drives as well as the 2008 one I drove last year.

I will probably upgrade the seating to XS spec, and put a cubby in the front, but other than that it seems OK.

All thoughts appreciated.

TIA

David

Hello David,

May I suggest that for seating, you either fit a set of Scheelmanns, which I have in mine, or look at the Exmoor Trim "Le Mans Sport" seat (an appropriate name for you?) which has larger bolsters and longer seat base. It makes it much more comfortable as the thighs are better supported.

http://www.exmoortrim.co.uk/index.php?opti...4&Itemid=53 link to exmoors.