What new engine???

mabbs

My v8 3.9 (lt77 gearbox) is sadly at the end of its life; after replacing the head gaskets (with composites) and running without a pressurized cooling system for 5k the problem of pressurization has reappeared. The knock on effect has been a leak from the water pump. Appears that in my absence the vehicle was used without coolant. To my horror this evening when I was about to replace the pump, it sounds now as if one of the rings has gone.......

My question is what's the best thing to do?

1. repair the existing engine;

2. replacement engine with 3.9, say from ebay or breakers subject to price

3 Convert to a different engine - Tdi 200, or maybe a Merc 3.0 straight six as from experience these engines are bomb proof, super smooth and torquey.

Not sure about Tdi power in a Range Rover, ok in a Defender but too gutless for Motorway cruising.....

Any suggestions please

I guess it rather depends on your priorities, but if it was me (and it may well soon be) I would be going for the like for like replacement because:

1. repair the existing engine;

• Time consuming/expensive to do it right

2. replacement engine with 3.9, say from ebay or breakers subject to price

• Easy, quick, cheap, and you still get the V8 power and sound. (You would preferably want to hear it start from cold and then run until it's hot before you buy)

3 Convert to a different engine - Tdi 200, or maybe a Merc 3.0 straight six as from experience these engines are bomb proof, super smooth and torquey.

• Much bigger job: Wiring loom, fuel system, engine mounts, adapter plate etc etc

All the above IMHO :)

Rog

I'm with ThreeSheds:

1. repair the existing engine; Probably uneconomical given the price of (2) unless you're determined to do an upgrade/rebuild.

2. replacement engine with 3.9, say from ebay or breakers subject to price Even buying a whole running but rusty RR will set you back less than £500, and you can drive it before you buy that way. Also, you might make some money back breaking it, or at least end up with a spare gearbox, LT230, and axles/diffs.

3 Convert to a different engine - Tdi 200, or maybe a Merc 3.0 straight six as from experience these engines are bomb proof, super smooth and torquey. A decent big diesel (so not a LR one then :P ) can work well in a RR, but any conversion is going to eat money, even if the engine itself is cheap. Be very sure that you know what you're getting into before you go for this option.

200TDi is fine in a RR.

I had one in the Bishtail with an auto box and 235 x 85 muds and alkl the off roading paraphanalia and she cruised quite happily at an indicated 75 on the motorways. Long hilss slowed her down a bit, but not so you were being overtaken by the heavies!

Conversion is pretty straightforward too.

• 3 weeks later...

She is alive and well! The ticking was actually the tappets, with a new water pump she is running ok. However after using for a few weeks petrol consumption is really too high around 12 MPG and the thermostat has progressively got lower and lower. Presume the EFI thinks she's cold and running rich. The thermostat me thinks is the next port of call.

Had an interesting thought wonder if an old XK6 engine out of an old XJ6 would bolt straight in - loads of bottom end torque and the EFI fitted to the later XJs actually had 205 BHP so better top end too! Anyone tried?

Rich