Bilstein or OME?

Hi:

I am considering replacing the stock shock absorbers and springs in my Defender 110 (8 years old and with 80K kms)

Any thoughts on what is a better combination for a Defender 110 Td5?

a) standard Land Rover springs and Bilstein shock absorbers

B) complete OME suspension kit which includes springs and shock absorbers

I am looking for a standard (but improved) type of ride and good quality products. I have a winch mounted in the front.

Whether choosing option "a" or "b" I also have to change all the bushes which are quite worn. I have to decide between Polybush "blue" (soft) bushes and original Land Rover bushes. Opinions? I´ve used "red" polybushes before and where way too hard and stiff.

Thanks

Regards

Santiago

At the risk of starting another Polybush debate, have you looked at Orange polybushes?

They are called 'Dynamic' and are supposed to be halfway between a red and a blue bush in terms of stiffness.....

I know some people on 'ere hate Polybushes, but i've recently fitted the Orange ones to my Discovery and am very impressed..

I'm not sure if they are available everywhere, I got mine from Gigglepin 4x4.

Well, I haven't compared, but I can tell you what I am very happy with. ;)

The vehicle is a LHD 110 HT that most of the time is almost empty in the back except for maybe 50 kgs of tools and "stuff" behind the bulkhead. Up front is a winch bumper with a MileMarker hydraulic.

I run a complete set of OME - the springs up front are 761 (both "drivers") and 200 lbs/". Rears are 755 and 280 lbs/". Meaning that all are a bit softer than HD fronts and standard rears, but they are longer so the ride height is a fraction higher than standard.

The dampers are OME and (I think...) of a HD variety and a little firmer than standard. The dampers feel a little too stiff at the rear when empty, but with the EezyAwn RTP on top it's just perfect. If yours is a SW, I think it would be just fine. Front is OK all the time.

As said, I'm very pleased with the result, when other Land Rovers are out, they try to avoid potholes in gravel roads. I just drive over them and the springs and dampers do a fine job.

For my suspension set-up, I use standard springs with De Carbon gas dampers. Cant fault this set-up at all. If money were no option, then I would certainly go with OME in a flash.

Also, at the risk of getting into the Polybush debate again, I recently fitted Super Pro bushes. Very, very impressed.

Martin

Thanks for your opinions guys.

Seems like OME is a good option, anybody had bad results from OME springs or shock absorbers?

110 USA: I understand that RoversNorth sells OME kits.

Regarding bushes I have not read previous (controversial ?) posts about it in this FORUM (I will do a search later) but I´ve heard several complaints down here (Argentina) and I believe I am going to stick with original LR rubber bushes.

Cheers

Santiago

On the subject of bushes, you will find that opinion is pretty much divided 50/50 for & against.

I could not get a clear answer from this forum, some people will show you pictures of bushes they claim failed after a short period of time, some will swear by them. I eventually asked my garage, whose opinion I trust over anybody elses, and they said they do bushes to all of their vehicles before anything else.

I guess it depends on what you use your vehicle for, and judging by your statement that you want to retain standard ride comfort, I assume its not full-on off road extreme stuff? - mine is for travel & expedition use, so I find the Superpro bushes to be fantastic.

I also think that you will have to look quite hard, to find someone that has something bad to say about OME.

110_USA: Expeditionexchange in Cal is where I bought two of my dampers. Price was half of what I paid here... :huh: And what a well behaved company to deal with! ;)

Thanks guys for all that great information!

Regarding Super Pro bushes, are they stiffer than original LR rubber bushes?

Why are they better than original LR rubber bushes? Last longer?

Better ride? Allow more (or less?) axle articulation?

Do they come in diferent versions as Polybush?

How do prices compare with LR rubber bushes?

THANKS and sorry for so many questions!

Santiago

Thanks guys for all that great information!

Regarding Super Pro bushes, are they stiffer than original LR rubber bushes?

Why are they better than original LR rubber bushes? Last longer?

Better ride? Allow more (or less?) axle articulation?

Do they come in diferent versions as Polybush?

How do prices compare with LR rubber bushes?

THANKS and sorry for so many questions!

Santiago

Santiago

My experience of OME and other gas shocks on defenders is not good, ride off road is better especial if matched to OME springs but when used hard and long (8 hour days fully laden an rock and soft peat) the eyes tend to pull off the rear ones.

Some of the people I work with have had so many fail thet they carry a spare!

I think the bushins are too stiff and when crossing a ditch there is not enough give.

For all suspension bushing its only realy worth using genuine parts if you work you vehicle hard.

of course I dont know what you get up to accross the water from me...

Thanks Thirsty Beast for your opinion!

Any comments on Britpart HD front springs? I've been offered a pair of Britpart +40mm springs for the front of my winch equipped Defender 110. The seller claims they can be used with standard hight LR springs in the back. I usaually use my Defender unladen.

Cheers

Anybody has availabe the part number for the following Land Rover genuine parts in order to confirm (or correct) the following:

Front dampers: the ones I have installed are part # RNB 103720 and I ned to change them; I've been told they are the original factory ones but the official LR dealer is offering the part number RSC 100050 as the genuine LR replacement. Is there a mistake or part numbers have changed?

Rear dampers: I've been offered part # RPM 100080 by the official LR dealer, is this correct?

Rear Springs: I've been offered part # RRC 3266 as the genuine LR part by the official LR dealer, is it correct?

They should be the ones that correspond to a Defender 110 Td5, year 2000.

Thank you in advance

Anybody has availabe the part number for the following Land Rover genuine parts in order to confirm (or correct) the following:

Front dampers: the ones I have installed are part # RNB 103720 and I ned to change them; I've been told they are the original factory ones but the official LR dealer is offering the part number RSC 100050 as the genuine LR replacement. Is there a mistake or part numbers have changed?

Rear dampers: I've been offered part # RPM 100080 by the official LR dealer, is this correct?

Rear Springs: I've been offered part # RRC 3266 as the genuine LR part by the official LR dealer, is it correct?

They should be the ones that correspond to a Defender 110 Td5, year 2000.

Thank you in advance

regarding shock abs, yes, he is right. The RRC spring is the inner helper though che

Re shocks, went from standard LR to OME not enough damping with heavy use (corrugations, and sand dune driving) , went to Bilstein, better damping when used hot , but ripped the eyes off on rears (did not want to know under warranty in OZ). Went to Koni adjustables , best move I made, consistant performance, and have not failed.

Springs King HD +1" , vehicle sits level when loaded , winch, bull bar, and spare on front, 225ltrs fuel , 80ltrs water, recovery gear, fridge, 4 pob , roof tent, tools,sand ladders etc. FC rims (lot of offset) very soft compliant ride, quite a lot of body roll when cornering, but the wheels stay on ground, (so far) . very stable at 60-70mph cruise on OZ dirt roads .

Never felt the need to change from standard LR bushes , seem to last pretty well, land rover should know what they are at by now JMHO its a V8 CSW by the way