Exhaust Exit position - Pics thoughts please

It may seem a tad odd, but I am struggling to work out where exactly to ask for the tailpipe of the new exhaust when made comes out...

Problems are

Its prob going to be 3" exhaust, that takes up room big timey :(

I have a fair bit of flex, so it can't go where it is now, on full flex it will get 2Nipped"

post-22-1219925063_thumb.jpg

:(

So I have looked and have some options

• Cut a big hole in the rear crossmember "wing" and have it out there ?
  • Cut a hole higher up the rear body side - out there ?
  • Underneath the rear crossmember - that will be swished ?
  • Cut a hole in the rear bodywork (ie to the side of the door in that panel ?

All in all a bit of a pain, anyone got thoughts as to legality, best positions for exit, ones to be avioded and why ?

Any ideas suggestions pics please post away

Nige

common options seem to be about a third of the way up the tub panel either in front of, or behind the wheel. In front of the wheel means that your eyebrow gets cooked from the hot exhaust gas. Personally I would go just behind the wheel - essentially straight up from where it is...

don't forget to make sure it protrudes a bit from the hole... Some competitions also have rules against side exit exhausts too, but that can be got around by adding an elbow to the tailpipe as and when required...

Mark

Nige, here are my thoughts on the options:

1) Would be OK but I think you'll end up with people burning themselves (don't expect it to be there) and it will get squashed when you back into something. I don't think there are any illegality issues because Lotus did something simerlar (albeit muc lower) on the Mk1 Elise.

2) Would be my preferred option as its up out of the way and not too vulnerable.

3) I would guess this will get squashed very quickly. I've only seen it work on traybacks with 90* departure angles

4) Good in theory as it shortens the length of pipework to get caught up. However, I found the plumbing a real PITA when I did mine as there's not a lot of space to get over the chassis and then I had a cage to fit round - it ended up with several tight 90* bends to get it where I wanted it to exit (ie in the centre of the panel with equal distances between the door, arch and sill. Also there's not much room for a silencer (I could only fit in a short straight through box). Not necessarily a problem if for you but the neighbours might not be too pleased.... ;)

what about straight out the back and pointing down before rear crossmember?

Seems to work well on mine. With a custom one you would be able to get better angle and have it up and out of the way further than mine, as mine is just a cut and weld modification to a standard 90 rear section.

Exhaust1Medium.jpg

Exhaust3Medium.jpg

cheers

Steve

Except he hasn't got a pipe of 3" and he has a guard to the side, I haven't, and looking at some of the wpunds in the winch tray base thats going to get whacked hard and swished :(

I have just been out and measured the rear crossmember, it would fit through, but a 3.5" hole would severaley weaken it so I might need to beef it up if I go that route

The panel above the rear crossmember is still another possibilty, have also considered pipe at the end of the rock slider but I think that will just be too noisey

Hmmmmmm whos idea was it to go 3" :lol: ?

nige

Hmmm

Rear wing (Blue one) for one thing gives more room for silencer(s) etc, as a matter of curiousity what size is the tailpipe OD to give me some idea, 3" is going to look kin big methinks maybe ?. At least I would have an excuse to make up my own exhaust ring :moglite: no, not that sort ^^^ sort :P

Nige

Straight up through the roof behind the seat Nige. Then fabricate a nice removable insulated panel that you can unclip on cold days to act as a handy exhaust heat/cab air heat exchanger.

OK I'll shut up :(

Will :)

Couldn't you do this but have the pipe coming up the outside of the vehicle in an artic style exhaust instead of through the cab!? Make it look like another snorkel or something? Actually wait, I can see problems with that already...

Guest l90truck

hi i have a spare surround the same as the one in the pic of the blue 90 yours for a tenner .. as for the size of the OS diamiter you'll have to wait till tomorrow and i'll measure it as the missus has gone out in it :(

HFH..what engine are you running? I have much the same problem and am going to relocate the exhaust but don't know the maximum/optimum diameter pipe to use? I'm running a standard 200TDi which will get some mild tuning in time. I plan to replace the exhaust all the way through..

regarding your question on legality...a friend of mine runs his exhaust just behind the passenger door, to make it worse he's got all the boxes removed!! Past the MOT fine, but it is rather noisy....in fact it sounds like a tank! :D ...not so good for the daily driver...

Matt

Er, Nige doesn't really have an "engine" as such :lol: more of an untamed animal under the bonnet. :blink::unsure:

Using exhaust diameter as a comparator - if Nige is looking at 3" for his "thing" and you have a 200TDi (like me :rolleyes: ) you'll be needing a straw from McDonalds!! :lol::lol:

Nige,

Mine's just visible in this pic - central under the rear crossmember

Phto0027s.jpg

Amazingly, doesn't get bashed off regularly. If you were worried about 3" of pipe hanging under the car, you could point the pipe downwards and chop it at an angle (so the actual exit was oval, say 5" long and 3" wide, and no lower than the bottom edge of the crossmember).

The only issue with moving it around the rear of the vehicle is that it can draw exhaust into the car in some locations - I know Series trucks which use the crossmember PTO hole can suffer from this.

HFH..what engine are you running? I have much the same problem and am going to relocate the exhaust but don't know the maximum/optimum diameter pipe to use? I'm running a standard 200TDi which will get some mild tuning in time. I plan to replace the exhaust all the way through..

regarding your question on legality...a friend of mine runs his exhaust just behind the passenger door, to make it worse he's got all the boxes removed!! Past the MOT fine, but it is rather noisy....in fact it sounds like a tank! :D ...not so good for the daily driver...

Matt

This will give you an idea about Nige's engine - its a bit on an beast!!!! On a Tdi 3" would be overkill for the exhaust as you simply will never shift that much gas - 2.5" would be more than up to the job.

Tony, you've not had issues with the pipework catching where it runs under the chassis??? I'd have thought that was almost asking to be ripped off. I remember packaging isn't easy with the sort of rear winch setup you have (I had something similar) - it was one of the reasons for going for the exit behind the door route.

Probably of limited help Nige, but my 3" exits here:

P4140013Small.jpg

Problem is I don't run a rear silencer, and being a 110, there's a bit more bodywork overhanging anyway.

If it was a 90, I'd be trying to cut big hole in the crossmember "wing" and have it come through there.

Dont forget that a tail pipe existing through the rear side wing will not pass scruitineering for the AWDC challenge series IIRC.

Bless their little scrutineering socks, I'm trying to work out how a side-exit exhaust can be any more dangerous than a rear-exit one?

Bless their little scrutineering socks, I'm trying to work out how a side-exit exhaust can be any more dangerous than a rear-exit one?

Burns the legs of the rescuers as they try to prise your door open to get your limp body from the twisted wreckage ? (Though the isolator would stop the engine, naturally.. ;))

I'm wanting to exit behind passenger door as well, all that high-up space looks very tempting to stash a silencer. Hope I don't gas the passenger in the process, but you'd assume the wind will swirl anything out there around before it gets to them... Probably not much worse than it coming out the rear at the side.

Nige, got mine exiting from nearside of tub just behind passenger door.Missus & kids hate it as they always get a gob full of diesel fumes. Find myself shutting the engine down to let them in. But I will say that never sustained any real damage to the exhaust since mounting it there. Check for clearance if mounting here as I struggled to get 2.5" pipe over the chassis neatly. Probably ok if the pros are do the jogb for you.

Adrian

I thought that you could pass so long as there was some form of deflector ie 90degree bend pointing the flow downwards.