Exhaust Exit position - Pics thoughts please

Straight out through a hole in the rear crossmember takes some beating, whose was the V8 marine blue Series truck cab that came down here a few years back when we did a playday over near Taunton and a days laning? Beautiful thing it was...

Will :)

Yep that seems favorite option at the mo, and prob Drivers side as I have the Rear Hydro winch pipework and air release on the passenger side

I have a 3.5inch cutter, I'll most prob take that with me, it will take a while to holesaw through 6mm plate :lol::)

Will wait till the day just in case matey has better ideas .............

Nige

Yep that seems favorite option at the mo, and prob Drivers side as I have the Rear Hydro winch pipework and air release on the passenger side

I have a 3.5inch cutter, I'll most prob take that with me, it will take a while to holesaw through 6mm plate :lol::)

Will wait till the day just in case matey has better ideas .............

Nige

I used to have mine through the hole in the crossmember, but decided against it later, because of exhaustfumes getting sucked in the cab trough the rr door while driving on motorwayspeeds. I always used to feel very sick after a long trip on the road.

Daan

I used to have mine through the hole in the crossmember, but decided against it later, because of exhaustfumes getting sucked in the cab trough the rr door while driving on motorwayspeeds. I always used to feel very sick after a long trip on the road.

Daan

Even a hardtop ? :unsure: ??

Nige

Daan

I guess you should be OK if you fit good sealing stips?

My S1 has thisroute for the exhaust with a S/T and I can't rollup the back now due to fumes.

Even with a H/T the eddy currents will keep the fumes around the rear door at motorway speeds.

If you have the front door windows open the air gets sucked out of the front door and it tries to suck the replacement air in through the rear. Any gaps around the rear will draw in the fumes as they are not being left behind but are drawn along with you.

A good show of this was when I blew the Transfer Box on my Hydred H/T the rear was completely covered in the oil from the box.

Hope this drivel helps some :P

Have fun.

Marc.

Even a hardtop ? :unsure: ??

Nige

Especially on a hardtop, there is a massive suction on the flat back of the hardtop, and the fumes look for anyway to get in. My sealing isnt great, but about average like most landys. I dont think your split rr door is doing you much favours in that respect. I thought I mention it to you before you spend your hard earned.

I settled for this:

DSC00696-copy.jpg

The exit is actually the swaged end of a TDI pipe, welded straight on a def 90 rr silencer which sits behind th rr wheel. The finisher is a bit of 18SWG stainless steel with a 3" (i think) swage and then cut out round and some rivetholes added. All home grown, as usual.

daan