Lift pump pressure

According to the 1997 workshop manual (and posted several times on this forum) the 300TDI lift pump pressure spec is

Fuel lift pump pressure ..................................................... 42 - 55 Kgf/cm2 (3 - 4 lbf/in2) at 1800 rpm

Is it just me or does this not make sense? 1kgf = 2.2lbf, and 1sq.in. = (2.54)^2 sq.cm. So 1kgf/cm2 = 14.2lbf/in2

A few lines down the same page of the manual the coolant expansion tank cap pressure is given as

Expansion tank cap pressure ........................................... 1,06 Kgf/cm2 (15 Ibf/in2) (system pressure)

which *is* a conversion factor of 14.2

In fact it looks like the kgf and lbf figures are the wrong way round i.e. should be 3 - 4 Kgf/cm2 (42 - 55 lbf/in2)

Anyone got a FP gauge in theirs... ?

Type it in on google: 4 Kgf/cm2 to PSI and it'll tell you!

You're right though, those figures are either the wrong way around or way out :o

Hmm yes I use google's 'convert' quite often but in this case it doesn't seem to work, at least not from my part of the world.

I'm tempted to think they're the wrong way round - OTOH 3 - 4 psi sounds rather low.

3-4 psi sounds about right to me for a 300Tdi lift pump. That is why the engine will run quite happily without the pump working until you put your foot down. The 60psi TD5 pump is another matter, which is why they cost so much and go wrong so often.