Electric fan quick question

defender 90 200tdi engine electric fans which way do they blow ?

does it want to draw the air into the engine bay

or

blow out towards the fan

sounds like a silly question but read somewhere it is supposed to suck air in im confused now as mine blows air out onto the radiator :huh:

regards

warren

Not quite sure what you're getting at here - the fan should draw air through the rad the same direction as if the car was travelling forwards and air was naturally blowing through the rad. Now, if the fan is before the rad, it needs to blow through the rad, if it's behind, it needs to suck.

As FF says as long as the air is going from in front of the radiator (Outside the vehicle) to behind it (inside the engine bay) then it doesn't matter whether the fan is sucking or blowing to achieve it... Fan in front of the radiator would need to blow, or a fan behind the radiator would need to suck- or for real over kill... one in front blowing and one behind sucking (oh er missus :ph34r: )

As FF says as long as the air is going from in front of the radiator (Outside the vehicle) to behind it (inside the engine bay) then it doesn't matter whether the fan is sucking or blowing to achieve it... Fan in front of the radiator would need to blow, or a fan behind the radiator would need to suck- or for real over kill... one in front blowing and one behind sucking (oh er missus :ph34r: )

cheers both answered my question my fan is in between the engine and radiator so it needs to suck i will nip outside and swap the wires round on fan motor

cheers both answered my question my fan is in between the engine and radiator so it needs to suck i will nip outside and swap the wires round on fan motor

That will probably not help to improve airflow as the fan blades are designed to suck air into one direction.

my decision on electric fans is i dont like them, had too many of them in front behind etc an all have given up the go after a few dunkings so gone back to good old faithfull viscous :i-m_so_happy:

putting a fan on an intercooler wont have much of an effect on a land rover unless yor trying squeeze as much BHP an touque out as poss unless you mean by having a blowing fan on the front to cool the rad this is fine as you cooling the rad

dave

Does adding electric fans to the intercooler really helps getting colder (so getting more oxygen to your engine)?

Do not think fitting an electric fan will help. A larger intercooler does, as long as it is in front of the radiator. Cooling it with a water haze will help too but might be a bit over the top for a Land Rover.

http://www.turbobits.co.uk/acatalog/elabtr...ater_spray.html

I'm running a full size intercooler + replaced my visco fan with a Pacet fan (behind raditator) together with a X-fan thermostatic controller in the bottom hose. The visco unit is in the back for emergencies.

Cheers

Marco

my decision on electric fans is i dont like them, had too many of them in front behind etc an all have given up the go after a few dunkings so gone back to good old faithfull viscous :i-m_so_happy:

Did you turn them off during the dunkings? :unsure: The trend in thee parts is that I've seen quite a few viscous failures but no electric failures.

From experience I can tell you that a fan on your intercooler will make a noticeable difference off road where speeds are low and will also make a difference where speeds are low where making long slow climbs up through mountains and the like.

HTH

Mo

Did you turn them off during the dunkings? :unsure: The trend in thee parts is that I've seen quite a few viscous failures but no electric failures.

I have two viscous fans, on the Disco and on the RRC. One is free spinning when cold with the engine off, and one is smooth and will turn relatively easily but will not 'spin'. The free-spinning one can be stopped by hand when it's cold and the engine is ticking over, but does stiffen up a bit when hot (Matron), the other one cannot be stopped at tickover even when it's cold and I'm wearing welding gloves...

Pray tell, is one, the other or both knackered?

Roger

p.s. On the RRC V8 I was going to change to electric so that I could turn it off when fording, but have now decided to stay with viscous since proving my (Megajolt) ignition is impervious to buckets and buckets of water :) Can't wait to give it a try in the real world...

first one wasnt as it was a quick fit an other 3 have all been switched, a mate had a good make cant remember the name that gave up with the motor burning out when it was warm weather

dave

I have two viscous fans, on the Disco and on the RRC. One is free spinning when cold with the engine off, and one is smooth and will turn relatively easily but will not 'spin'. The free-spinning one can be stopped by hand when it's cold and the engine is ticking over, but does stiffen up a bit when hot (Matron), the other one cannot be stopped at tickover even when it's cold and I'm wearing welding gloves...

Pray tell, is one, the other or both knackered?

Roger

p.s. On the RRC V8 I was going to change to electric so that I could turn it off when fording, but have now decided to stay with viscous since proving my (Megajolt) ignition is impervious to buckets and buckets of water :) Can't wait to give it a try in the real world...

If neither overheat then leave alone!