defender slack in diff

it's a feature :P

I'm using mine as an excuse foir some lockers although you can get standard recon difs for about £140

Mine has 20 minutes (if it was a clock face) play in it and has done ? miles, the axle I bought for a tenner on fleabay has five minutes in it and has done 120k and my new diff (bought just before I got the axle :angry: ) has zero minutes .

Wondering if the 5 minute one is worth selling or would I be stitching someone up ? :blink:

you could just remove the diff and knock the roll pins out of the retainers and adjust it...?

hamish

hmmmm? is that the backlash adjustment ? I drive various different landys (of a similar age) at work and some have lots of slack in the diffs and some have very little. which makes me think its adjustable.

• 11 months later...

Raising this thread from the depths (used the search see ;) ), my rear end :ph34r: is making an awful noise during the transfer from drive to overrun and there is an impressive clonk on changing from drive to reverse. (worse than it has been "normally":lol:)

Looking at the rear diff when changing from drive to reverse (handbrake off, foot on the brake, auto box) I get about 45 degrees of rotation. I presume I need to take the diff out and adjust it somehow? It has an ARB in there if that matters.

If I do need to adjust it, is there an idiots guide?

Thanks,

Raising this thread from the depths (used the search see ;) ), my rear end :ph34r: is making an awful noise during the transfer from drive to overrun and there is an impressive clonk on changing from drive to reverse. (worse than it has been "normally":lol:)

Looking at the rear diff when changing from drive to reverse (handbrake off, foot on the brake, auto box) I get about 45 degrees of rotation. I presume I need to take the diff out and adjust it somehow? It has an ARB in there if that matters.

If I do need to adjust it, is there an idiots guide?

Thanks,

Mr Bish - wouldn't that be Ye Workshoppe Manual, book 3, section 51 :P ?

Or is more "idiot" required :ph34r: ?

I don't know, first it's yer bowels, then it's yer rear ...

Well the diff is out and on the bench and a spare in its place (without ARB unfortunately :( ).

Once the RTV has cured I will fill with oil and test drive to see if the noise is still there.

On the face of it, the diff I took out looks fine - I can't see loose bolts but I haven't checked their torque. So perhaps the slop is at the t case end, despite a cross drilled shaft and new autobox stub shaft :( Tomorrow's test drive will shed some light I am sure.......

At least I managed to do an axle set of seals and bearings whilst I was at it :)

Did you do the dial-gauge measure on setting the pinion ring clearance and a prussian blue engagement pattern test? You can usually get rid of a lot of the slack but you will probably not really notice it unless you also mess around with the transfercase to fix it there as well. It is really annoying and do your best, sometimes it tightens right up, but more often than not you'll still get slop even if you do everything right.

I didn't build the diff - a grown up did :) and from my inspection it was built well as there is practically no evidence of wear on the crown wheel.

The test drive confirmed that the t case is the culprit so the ARB will be going in once I have had it inspected by another grown up ;)

I have lined up a replacement T case so we shall see.......

Well, a grown up looked at the diff today and pointed out to me the huge amount of slack in one of the bearings! Bluddy obvious once pointed out, but that is always the way!.

Said grown up is now rebuilding it for me :) and sold me a t -case too! Hopefully that should be the end of funny rear end noises for the time being.... :ph34r: