V8 in a Siii 2.25 diesel

T-Rex

Hi guys, toying around with the idea of squeezing a v8 3.5 twin carb into a standard 2.25 diesel 88" series. Is it possible without chopping the poor ould series to bits. Have the conversion plate for the series gearbox or is there an alternative to this ? Any other pitfalls or previous experiances welcome,,,Ta.... Mike

Hi guys, toying around with the idea of squeezing a v8 3.5 twin carb into a standard 2.25 diesel 88" series. Is it possible without chopping the poor ould series to bits. Have the conversion plate for the series gearbox or is there an alternative to this ? Any other pitfalls or previous experiances welcome,,,Ta.... Mike

wait for Jon White or Rogue Trooper (Richard), both have 88" and running Rover V8's, Rogues been letting me crawl all over his 88 so I can get the best out of squeezing my 3.5 carbed V8 into my SIII 109 :)

Chopping-wise, the bulkhead will have to be chopped due to the exhaust headers, even with block-huggers, as what I can see at the moment the port footwell will definately be cut, starboard is a possiblity that I may get away with not cutting.

Shame I didn't pick up the spare engine mounts at Sodbury, £2 a pair they were as they're help you not having to chop the chassis mounts

Guess it depends what you want to achieve but why not stick with diesel. Just a NA 2.5 (though they're probably hard to come by now) or an ex Disco 200TDi

I'll have a 2.5NAD up for sale soon ;) only coz the V8 will be fitted in it's place :D

I'll have a 2.5NAD up for sale soon ;) only coz the V8 will be fitted in it's place :D

See, no one wants them. Guess you'll not be wanting much for it but it would make a nice improvement on a 2.25.

Tonk was running 2.5NA for a while as well. Don't know what happened to it but he did ok with it.

See, no one wants them. Guess you'll not be wanting much for it but it would make a nice improvement on a 2.25.

Tonk was running 2.5NA for a while as well. Don't know what happened to it but he did ok with it.

yeah, did Mel and Jason well getting them and their LWT down to Milan and back, not to forget German Mikes 110 that just keeps going back and forth to Germany and other far flung places :)

Guess it depends what you want to achieve but why not stick with diesel. Just a NA 2.5 (though they're probably hard to come by now) or an ex Disco 200TDi

Ur rite, im just looking for a little increase in power, and a club member over here has a 3.5 lump for sale with some xtras for the series installation, so i got to dreaming............. U reckon the 2.5 would be a big improvement ?

Ur rite, im just looking for a little increase in power, and a club member over here has a 3.5 lump for sale with some xtras for the series installation, so i got to dreaming............. U reckon the 2.5 would be a big improvement ?

If there's a 2.5NAD that you can lay your hands on, go for it as it's a drop-in job and a better lump than the ol' 2.25. If you get bored with that then you can always think of the V8 in the future ;)

If there's a 2.5NAD that you can lay your hands on, go for it as it's a drop-in job and a better lump than the ol' 2.25. If you get bored with that then you can always think of the V8 in the future ;)

And a straight link to the series gear box , exhaust, and ancillaries electrics etc ????

The devil is in the detail putting a V8 into a Series. An adapter plate does not make a conversion.

You need engine mounts, a remote oil filter (preferably the Flowtech one), probably an electric fan or two, radiator hoses, maybe radiator & water pump modification, electric fuel pump, coil & ballast or whatever your engine requires, either the right manifolds, or a small modification to the chassis to let the exhaust fit, new downpipe & exhaust mods.

You need to either modify the back of the crank or machine down the input shaft of the gearbox to fit the RR spigot bush.

If the engine is SD1 not RR then you need a custom clutch release bearing or a RR flywheel, and different starter motor.

You need to cut the bulkhead both sides, if not for clearance then to get to the spark plugs :(

That said, a V8 in a series is a brilliant thing, can't beat the sound or the driving. When I went from 6cyl to 3.9 V8 I even got better MPG :blink: 'cos the V8 didn't have to work to haul the truck round.

Oh, and soon after doing the V8 conversion you will want to fit the LWB / Stage 1 V8 brakes :lol: and either an overdrive, or Range Rover diffs.

There's a good 2.5td for sale in Armagh for £100, the owner is starting work in Dublin next week too, let me know if you want the details.

Thanks Liam you might PM me the details on CLRI.. Oink Oink.....Mike

• 4 weeks later...
A mate of mine changed his 2.25 Petrol for a 3.5 V8

He broke at least one part of the drivetrain on almost every trip out off road

he is now an expert at replacing halfshaft, diffs and rebuilding gearboxes

:o

He must be a animal then.

I've just replaced the V8 in mine for a 1996 unit and apart from modding the bulkhead pretty much entirely re-did the conversion. Any pictures or questions just ask. :)

b7227d5e.jpg

i ran the 2.5 for a number of years, i pulled it and shoved in a 200 tdi, b/a is still going strong in a l/weight that i put it in