V8 in a Siii 2.25 diesel

T-Rex

the series gearbox can suffer with a V8 too...

The Series gearbox will suffer even with a reliant engine :lol: it's weak and does not compare with anything that came after it (LT77 et cetera). The Series II box is argueably the best for longetivity and transmitting that little more power that other engines may give over a standard 2.25 engine, but at the end of the day the Series box will still wilt with a TDi engine fitted so something like an LT77 conversion will solve that weak-link in the chain :)

It's not so much about engine as driving style, I had a 3.9 EFi in my Series for years and it never broke. In fact I then sold the 'box and overdrive to a mate who has been ragging it round in his 109 with a rather poky 3.5 V8 in front of it and still hasn't broken it (yet).

Long and the short is if you drive it hard all the time, you'll break it. If you have a bit of mechanical sympathy it will last as long as it would behind the standard 2.25 lump. It's never going to be as strong as an LT77 or R380 though, it was deisgned to handle 60hp not 160!

The Series gearbox will suffer even with a reliant engine :lol: it's weak and does not compare with anything that came after it (LT77 et cetera). The Series II box is argueably the best for longetivity and transmitting that little more power that other engines may give over a standard 2.25 engine, but at the end of the day the Series box will still wilt with a TDi engine fitted so something like an LT77 conversion will solve that weak-link in the chain :)

lol thats true :blink:

• 3 weeks later...
It's not so much about engine as driving style, I had a 3.9 EFi in my Series for years and it never broke. In fact I then sold the 'box and overdrive to a mate who has been ragging it round in his 109 with a rather poky 3.5 V8 in front of it and still hasn't broken it (yet).

Long and the short is if you drive it hard all the time, you'll break it. If you have a bit of mechanical sympathy it will last as long as it would behind the standard 2.25 lump. It's never going to be as strong as an LT77 or R380 though, it was deisgned to handle 60hp not 160!

He's right, mine lasted for years on the original box with a 165bhp 3.5 on it. When it eventually went it snapped the layshaft but I still got home ok.

• 1 month later...
He must be a animal then.

I've just replaced the V8 in mine for a 1996 unit and apart from modding the bulkhead pretty much entirely re-did the conversion. Any pictures or questions just ask. :)

b7227d5e.jpg

hello their millsy have just put a v8 into my series 3 and was wondering if you could tell me what type of water pump i need as the one i have is way to long.cheers for any reply.

Be careful, it's rather dependant on the front timing cover of the engine. The later (EFi) types have a shorter nose, but how interchagable the pumps are I don't know for sure - all I know is we once went through about 3 different spare pumps on one lump and none of them fitted <_<

Be careful, it's rather dependant on the front timing cover of the engine. The later (EFi) types have a shorter nose, but how interchagable the pumps are I don't know for sure - all I know is we once went through about 3 different spare pumps on one lump and none of them fitted <_<

thanks for the reply fridgefreezer im feeling very comfident know :D

It's not too bad, the front covers are interchangable and so are many of the pumps, it's just that one never seems to have the RIGHT combination when the water pump goes :(

If it's a very early lump then think about buying a new cover & pump (they crop up on eBay all the time) as the later covers have bigger oil pumps. Mind you, you're rather unlikely to come across one that early these days.