muddy

TD5 Exhaust diameter....

Morning folks, A friend of mine wants me to build him an exhaust for his 90 with a 2.8 isuzu lump in it, i'm going to use 2 1/2 pipe for the downpipe and mid section but going over the axle is a bit of a pain not to mention 2 1/2 bore silencers are bloody expensive everywhere i look.

Whilst i was in my local motorfactors i got a price for a td5 90 rear section and it came out at £43 plus VAT which i didnt think was bad at all by the time i have bent the pipe, bought the silencer etc etc so my question is just what size is a Td5 exhaust?

Secondly where can i get the flanges to join the pipe together at a half decent price, on my trialer i just made a sleeve so i could use a clamp but i would prefer to do this job a little more proffesionaly.

Thanks, Will.

I can't check until tomorrow but I would have said Td5s were 2.5" bore...?

I have a Td5 down pipe in the corner of the garage that measures 63.6mm ( 2½") in OD.

Todd.

You can use late 300TDi sections as well - still 2.5".

There isn't a rear silencer on the back sections of these, they use a single large centre box - replace this with a Britpart stainless silencer replacement section and you've got a straight through system for less than £100, which will take you to within a couple of feet of the manifold.

Cheapest source of flanges is to cut them off scrap exhaust components....

I agree with Eightpot, try to use standard parts where possible, they are cheap and easy to replace...

Cheers Folks.

Yep I try and use standard but seen astho its got a 2.8 isuzu and the turbo is on the other side i'm fairly certain that a mid pipe will be too far forward for the downpipe to connect up to.

Looks like i will be ringing round for a td5 exhaust in the near future :)

Will.

First off, does he need a silencer??? The turbo will take out quite a lot of the noise anyway. When I came to making up a mild steel system on the 90 I settled on a 'Cherry Bomb' straight through box. Made to order (2.5" ID x 3.5" OD x 12" IIRC - Si White has the box now so you could ask him to get out the measuring tape) it was only about £40. Although it was small it was pretty quiet while cruising and only slightly boomy on full chat - much quieter than I expected given the size!

63mm on mine from memory (2.5") - i built the exhaust on my d-lander, its a downpipe connected to a single piece of stainless tube....i used the flanges from the old system on mine, just migged them on and voila :)

The problem with flanges is that the existing exhaust is a NA one so i cant use the flanges on that and i'm not buying a td5 system just for the flanges!

Will- once i have bought a silencer for £30 then had it delivered then bent up and welded the pipe to it and made a tailpeice it seems easier to just buy a td5 one readymade :o it should save time too- you know thus reducing build time :P