Trailer indicators

Gazzar

I've just wired up my trailer socket on my '81 109 Petrol.

When I connect the trailer lights everything works, except the incicators flash too fast.

I presume the relay/flasher unit isn't up the the job but what can I do to fix it?

G.

Most auto factors and halfrauds should sell flashers. The wiring is on the page I linked to, it's not hard.

I'll try one - if I can get locally.

It looks to have more connections than what I have fitted currently. No doubt I 'll figure it out eventually.

Thanks,

G.

FridgeFreezer

Got one, it looks like the only additional work necessary is the extra Earth.

I'll have a go at wiring it in tomorrow and report back.

Cheers!

G.

Success!

Purchased Flasher relay part number 206 from Halfords, underneeth motorbike electrical bits.

Opened instrument panel, removed lucas part from top of inside of panel.

Disconnected the unit, connected the dark green wire to the 49 connector, 49a to the light green connector and made a new earth wire from the inspection socket.

Tried right indicator - flashed very fast.

Drat.

Checked bulbs and, naturally, one had blown.

Replaced bulb and everything worked.

Connected trailer board and - - it all works!

I've just got tp tidy everything up and I'm done.

By the way, what is the trailer warning lamp for? Is it a legal requirement? And woudl a buzzer do?

FridgeFreezer, thank you.

G.

By the way, what is the trailer warning lamp for? Is it a legal requirement? And woudl a buzzer do?

The trailer lamp should flash at the same time as the indicator warning lamp when there's a trailer board on - lets you know it's working. A buzzer would also do. Technically it's a legal requirement but it's not in the MOT or anything.

The trailer lamp should flash at the same time as the indicator warning lamp when there's a trailer board on - lets you know it's working. A buzzer would also do. Technically it's a legal requirement but it's not in the MOT or anything.

I've fixed a buzzer - just soldered it straight to the lucar spade on the relay.

It does exactlty what I thought it would do.

Nice.

Probably not an issue for the Irish DOE, but a good idea anyway.

Cheers Fridgefreezer.

G.