de-cat pipe

dicsosfa

:D hi everyone, i have just changed my cat down pipe for a none cat one (part no.esr2297) and it seems to pull better now, cost £17.63

but it did/does smoke more when pulling off (i put this down to disturbing the middle silencer when fitting the front pipe) and its blowing the loose deposits out or is there more to it ?

did anyone else have same thing happen and do you think it will persist.

next to go is the middle silencer to be replaced with a straight through pipe ;)

Roy.

:D hi everyone, i have just changed my cat down pipe for a none cat one (part no.esr2297) and it seems to pull better now, cost £17.63

but it did/does smoke more when pulling off (i put this down to disturbing the middle silencer when fitting the front pipe) and its blowing the loose deposits out or is there more to it ?

next to go is the middle silencer to be replaced with a straight through pipe ;)

Roy.

IIRC the 'Cat' is actually a particulate filter, and if it was as clogged as the one on mine was, it will have been stopping a lot of muck getting out the end of the exhaust. Now no restriction = more muck (smoke). Mine does smoke a bit under heavy load especially foot to the floor from rest (ie out of junctions) but then again I have tweeked the pump some too. ;) .

Hth

Pete

Roy.

Have you changed your airfilter, if not try that.

Cheers

Dave

hi

have been looking around for the best one some say k&n /britpart ,lr original which is the best ? paper or washable

also having removed the egr and blanking them off can i and how do i remove the round part on the top of the fuel pump

Roy

Rather depends on if its Diesel smoke or engine oil smoke.

Try backing off from a highish RMP and then planting your foot on the accelerator, look for smoke colour........if its black (Diesel) try as suggested and change the air filter, if its blue/grey is the turbo worn?.

By removing the restriction (cat) you also reduce the systems back pressure, oil can then pass the turbine seal.

I would check this out before tweaking the FIP.

hi there,

black smoke seems to less noticable now on pulling off,

turbo reconditioned 3 months ago

current air filter is a paper one but looks clean and will blow it out with compressor as a temp fix till i find out which one is better any suggestions ? Roy

Roy.

Roy,

Where did you get the non-cat pipe for this price?

The cheapest I have been quoted is £47 + delivery

I was thinking of just cutting the cat out and replacing it with a length of straight pipe.

Tony

hi there,

current air filter is a paper one but looks clean and will blow it out with compressor as a temp fix till i find out which one is better any suggestions ? Roy

i have tried the k@n filter and paper cant say i noticed a difference back to paper now have you tried cleaning out the intercooler maybe worth a try, chris

I bought mine from paddocks for the same price but you have to buy the defender one instead of the discovery item.The only difference between them is the disco one has that flexy join and a bracket/hanger and the defender item doesnt.

I had the same black smoke to start with but after a good thrash up the road it cleared,my thoughs were that the rear silencer was full of carbon/soot and when it got a unrestricted blast of exhaust gases it pushed loads out.I now have no black smoke at all even on hard accelaration,a real good mod well worth doing.

hi there,

Hi there Discosfa, I get all my bits from Paddocks as I find their service and prices combination unbeatable.

For a Tdi300 a set of the three main filters costs £6.28+vat, so I get two sets at a time and change all the filters every 5000mls. At that price why wouldn't you?

Cheers & good luck

Dave

I bought mine from paddocks for the same price but you have to buy the defender one instead of the discovery item.The only difference between them is the disco one has that flexy join and a bracket/hanger and the defender item doesnt.

I had the same black smoke to start with but after a good thrash up the road it cleared,my thoughs were that the rear silencer was full of carbon/soot and when it got a unrestricted blast of exhaust gases it pushed loads out.I now have no black smoke at all even on hard accelaration,a real good mod well worth doing.

Completely agree - the best £21.25+vat I've ever spent on a car.

Dave

What's the part no. for the defender one please.

I might well fit one afte the MOT next month

Cheers

hi comical engineer

part no. is ers2297 and it was a britpart item from a place in stoke on trent but they do not do mail order collection only.

its web address is

www.beamends-lrspares.co.uk there post code is ST10 2PR and phone number is 01782 551155.

and it does not effect the mot by removing it Roy.

Discosfa is spot on with the part number and that its made by britpart the same as mine only i ordered through paddocks,the interesting thing is when i ordered it they gave me a load of reasons why it would fail an mot,IT WONT they just wanted me to buy the discovery item at twice the price!!!

Oh and i only put mine on as thebiglad recommened it and mate what a difference,i cant give you accurate figures on mpg yet as i havent done a brim to brim test yet but the big lad will fill you in if you need more info,his results were fantastic and mine is much much better its now got plenty of get up and go now and i havent got round to moving the wastegate pipe yet

refering to my 300tdi 90 instead of a disco - but principle is the same....

i also binned the cat with the paddocks non cat pipe - and the centre box got replaced with a straight bit of tube - and then the back box fell off on a rock and got replaced with a straight pipe exiting out the back xmember.

The difference in turbo spool up time with no exhaust restrictions was quite remarkable. No accurate figures as my 90 doesnt have a rev counter, but i reckon the turbo starts spinning several hundred revs lower down than before and gets up to boost much quicker.

The amount of back pressure the standard exhaust (with a cat) has is rediculously high, and this basically means the pressure differential between the engine and exhaust side of the turbine takes that much longer to overcome... Once that back pressure is removed, every bit of gas being spat out of the cylinders is helping to spin up the turbine, instead of fighting against the restrictions.

Noise levels have gone up - slightly - but not really intrusive, as the turbo itself is very effective at getting rid of the pressure waves normally associated with exhaust noise. Does give it a nice burble at idle and a get snorty roar when you are being enthusiastic.

Roy.

Worth a look ebay item 170257056016

Steve