overheating

Afternoon all,

taking my 90 td rebuild out for a test drive in the forest and it keeps overheating, especially when im climbing up hill. checked the thermostat and it appears to work when i put it in a boiling pan, the engine wouldnt even heat up when i removed the thermostat and took it for a spin.

any ideas?

colin

Afternoon all,

taking my 90 td rebuild out for a test drive in the forest and it keeps overheating, especially when im climbing up hill. checked the thermostat and it appears to work when i put it in a boiling pan, the engine wouldnt even heat up when i removed the thermostat and took it for a spin.

any ideas?

colin

blocked rad take it out lay it on the floor and stick hose on it inside and out for an hour or 2

blocked rad take it out lay it on the floor and stick hose on it inside and out for an hour or 2

If it had a blocked radiator then would it not have overheated when i ran it without the thermostat fitted? i thought that the thermostat might be restricting the flow too much?

colin

If it had a blocked radiator then would it not have overheated when i ran it without the thermostat fitted?

Quite correct, so the chances of a radiator blockage is small.

Probably your thermostat, when you tested it in boiling water, was the water boiling? All that proves is that the thermostat operates.

The important point is what temperature it operates at ! you need a thermometer to check the temp of the water as well.

A standard thermostat is 88 degrees I think.

Quite correct, so the chances of a radiator blockage is small.

Probably your thermostat, when you tested it in boiling water, was the water boiling? All that proves is that the thermostat operates.

The important point is what temperature it operates at ! you need a thermometer to check the temp of the water as well.

A standard thermostat is 88 degrees I think.

Got it fixed guys, i fitted a 74degrees thermostat and it sits at the correct temp now.

Thanks for all the help.

colin