Discovery 200/300 seat runners - fit defender ?

I have been trying to get the seats out of my 110, leaving the runners in and no luck.

The two screws at the back, near the upright for the seat back just won't budge, so I need just runners that bolt onto the seat base.

Found some cheap ones on eBay for a Discovery 200/300... would they work on the 110 ?

Thanks

Greg

Guest diesel_jim

Are you trying to fit disco seats onto the front of your 110?

I'm doing exactly this same job this weekend (well, apart from fitting some stupid downlighters in the sitting room, but i digress....)

the disco seat runners are closer together than defender ones, i've made up a frame with some 25x25mm box, and mounted the seats onto that. I'll get some pictures up later.

Are you trying to fit disco seats onto the front of your 110?

I'm doing exactly this same job this weekend (well, apart from fitting some stupid downlighters in the sitting room, but i digress....)

the disco seat runners are closer together than defender ones, i've made up a frame with some 25x25mm box, and mounted the seats onto that. I'll get some pictures up later.

No trying to fit some spare recaros I have. I have spent too long trying to remove the phillips screws that are at the back of the tubes that fit onto the runners (the ones that hold the seat back). If I continue, I expect next step is going to be a lot of swearing / breaking screw heads / angle grinding / etc... which will end in tears.

So, much easier to remove the seats including runners and get another set of runners ;) I am planning on getting a sheet of 3 or 4mm steel, bolt that onto the runners, and then bolt my seats on top of the sheet metal.

Should have been an easy job, except for those four pesky screws...

Looking on ebay, I found discovery runners and was wondering if they would fit the defender's seat box without additional drilling / strenghening, etc...

Guest diesel_jim
Looking on ebay, I found discovery runners and was wondering if they would fit the defender's seat box without additional drilling / strenghening, etc...

Measuring off of the disco seats i've got here, the two runners are about 12cm closer together than the defender ones.

The simple answer is no they won't. Have you tried an impact driver to remove the screws ?

Mo

Last time I tried an impact driver on similar screws (Door hinges), I damaged the screw head so much that I had to drill it out. That was only giving it a quick spin with the impact driver...

Access to these screws is also very limited, I am not sure I could get the impact driver around there at all (unless I am missing something...).

Ah, now are you talking about an impact driver that you hit with a hammer or an impact gun ?

Are the screws the ones that hold the seat runners to the seat box ? I assumed that you were referring to the screws holding the seat back frame to the runners.

Mo

Ah, now are you talking about an impact driver that you hit with a hammer or an impact gun ?

A wizz-up thing that's a bit like an air gun but runs off batteries instead.

Not this one, but one like this

http://www.tooled-up.com/ShowImage.aspx?Ty...200&Save=46

But I see what you meant I should try... one of these

http://www.justoffbase.co.uk/core/media/me...26fa75dc528a675

Are the screws the ones that hold the seat runners to the seat box ? I assumed that you were referring to the screws holding the seat back frame to the runners.

Screws holding seat back frame to the runners, the Pozi #4 ones.

The front/middle ones are a doddle, the two rear ones are a pain, they are right next to the riser for the seat back and pretty hard to get to.

I have a pozi#4 bit with an adapter for a 10mm hex/spanner, but my 10mm socket puts the bit at an angle, so I've tried using the small extension bar you get with most screwdriver sets, and destroyed three already.

I've ordered new extensions (better ones), I might get one of these impact drivers, sounds like something that my toolbox needs anyway :lol:

I've also put a fair amount of wd40 on the screws, hopefully, soaking overnight will have helped a little.

Any other hints for those rear screws welcome :P

Greg,

The impact driver is indeed a useful tool to have particularly for front door hinge bolts :P:)

I'll take a look at those screws and see if I can figure a way to do it. We've been doing a similar thing on WKW90's 90 today fitting Ford Focus seats :)

Mo

Thanks, much appreciated.

The screws I'm on about are near the seat belt and seat back adjuster. It seems that to get to the one by the adjuster, the adjuster cover and adjuster mechanism needs to come off the seat.

The pozi bit I am using is this one

p4752088_x.jpg

Just ordered some of these extensions to make up for the ones I've damaged through torque loading

7291_1.JPG

These extensions, with the impact driver should do the trick :wacko: I hope

Got the passenger seat out using the impact driver and those extensions. Problem now is that the seats I have are missing some foams so I need to order replacement ones, or, find cheap replacement seats.

Thanks for the help in any case, the impact driver was definitely the solution to the problem.