2 1/4 Petrol Running Problem.

Tony Jones

Firstly, if I have put this on the wrong part of the forum please accept my apologies as I am new on and this is my second post.

The guys from Offroad Ireland recommended I should come here and ask you guys this question. I have a 1969 series 2A Land Rover Airportble. The engine is a standard, ex MoD 2286 cc 4 pot, 8:1 Comp' ratio from an early 80's Series 3 109 FFR, it is also fitted with, Lumenition Kit, New Weber Single barrel carb, new HT leads + sparks, K+N Air Filter.

My problem is this, when starting from cold she is very sluggish and judders when the revs increase to a level that you would normally shift gears at. When she is warmed up she also suffers the same problem, again, especially at high revs. I can't work out what's causing it, it's been ongoing for some months now, i have changed the fuel tank, fuel lines, fuel pump, carb, air filter, sparks, HT leads, changed from points to lumenition kit and it still persists!! :angry:

Can anyone please help as it's driving me insane!! :huh:

Sorry guys,

I would have answered much earlier but have had to be doing some insane hours at work this past week. Many apologies for not answering earlier :(

In answer to your questions guys I live approx 26 miles S.E of Belfast. The engine I know was in good condition as it came from a Series 3 FFR that belonged to my Dad although it was lying up, under cover for some years before being fitted to my wagon. I must get a compression tester as tbh it would be an invaluable tool.

Unfortunately I haven't got a Timing Strobe light, I need one of those too, unfortunately Santa hasb't been that good to me, obviously I have not been too good a boy!! :lol: The timing was done statically as per the book.

The Tappets, well for some while I have noticed one at least being a little clicky but unfortunately I don't ever seem to get time to do any work on her, she is at present my daily driver, so I will check and reset those. They do need done.

I'll check the above and with the overtime for this week i'll probably splash out on the above mentioned tools too if all goes well. Cheers, I will let you guys know what is happening.

Belfast, sorry too far away, I'm in the Midlands, otherwise I'd come over and help you mess it up worse!

There was a guy living near Saintfield - Michael - that was in Club Land Rover Ireland that was big into the series Land Rovers. I used to have his number but I lost it when I switched phones.

Try the club to get a contact number.

Otherwise the Belfast Land Rover Centre is near Saintfield. They may be worth a call.

I've just invested in more diagnostic kit, a Gunson Gastester and a vacuum gauge. They are both good pieces of kit, although the gas tester takes 10 minutes to calibrate. The way I figure it, the more I know the better I do the job, and as I'm not doing it everyday I need all the help I can get!!

G.

Belfast too far away from you??

It's the home of the Bushmills Distillery!! :lol::lol: If that doesn't convince you I don't know what will. :lol::lol:

I know Andrew, Granville, Marty and Dave well mate at BLRC. Their thing is mainlt diesels tbh, they don't really like touching them. Practically all the Land Rovers over here are Parafin Wagons!!

Thanks for the info about CLRI, i'll give them a look see.

That's also a good suggestion about the Gunson Gas Tester and Vac' Guage, if you don't mind telling me, what did they set you back? At 43.5hrs O/T this week I think I will treat myself to a little present or two.

I will first reset the tappets though. Easy job - hopefully. ;)

The Vac gauge was 15 euro - draper model in hte local motor factors, and the gas tester was roughly 100 euro, though that was bought on ebay.

I actually was up at Port Rush a month ago but it rained so much they had to close the roads!

Anyway, I'm planning on spending tomorrow tuning my 2286 petrol up - the vacuum advance isn't working (no vacuum generated by carb) so I'll do some research and we'll try work something out.

G.

Thanks for the info mate,

Sounds like you came over here in the middle of our Summer!! There's a reason why our fields are so green here!! Never stops raining!! :lol::lol:

Hope you get the 2286 sorted and if all goes well i'm off Tues+Wed so hopefully i'll get to at least reset the tappets. I hope so, cos she needs fixed. Having said that, today she didn't splutter at all, wierd. :blink:

Thanks for the info mate,

Sounds like you came over here in the middle of our Summer!! There's a reason why our fields are so green here!! Never stops raining!! :lol::lol:

Hope you get the 2286 sorted and if all goes well i'm off Tues+Wed so hopefully i'll get to at least reset the tappets. I hope so, cos she needs fixed. Having said that, today she didn't splutter at all, wierd. :blink:

Silly question but have you tried cleaning rear petrol pump filter?

Can't be your tappets then if it has been O.k for a while, but still have a look at them all the same

Like has already been said on some of my previous posts by others, there's no such thing as a silly question. Yep fuel filter bowl is clean and clear. This intermittent fault is driving me nuts as I have been chasing it for a while. Of course it's due to be raining for the next few days so that'll make working on her a little difficult/testing :rolleyes:

I'll give the tappets a go anyhow, can't do it any harm. ;)