Disco td5 tyre sizes with spacers???????

Disco51Pete

Hello to all, i have just joined your forum. Iam now the proud owner of a td5 disco 51plate. Ive had her bout 3 months now and am doing what i can to get fit for some off road fun. Im looking at putting 30mm wheel spacers on and was wondering what tyre size i could get away with without any mods. Im running 16's and mich road tyres at the mo but i want to fit bfg at's, as i have had these before and they are great tyres. So any ideas and help regards tyre size and thoughts on wheel spacers would be of great help and much appreciated.Cheers Pete.

Welcome :)

You will get 255/70R16 on a std vehicle with no problems as that is what I run on mine - BFG ATs. I don't know about with wheel spacers - I suspect if anything you will probably restrict the size you can fit (hitting the arches) rather than improving it but I don't know - that is just a guess. I am pretty sure 245/75R16 will also go on - a bit narrower and taller. I have seen 265/75R16 fitted, but not without minor modifications.

Also look at the General Grabber AT2 which is IMHO just as good and cheaper, that's what I will be getting next time around.

I do not really understand the point of getting spacers without a lift. I have 2" lift and 265/75/16 tires, in my case spacers would help me to install 285/75/16 cause they will rub springs and radius arms. But in your case.... I don't even know. This will make some sense if you'd like to have something wide but not tall, like 285/60/16, 285/55/16. And even in this case I bet that you'd like to have a proper 8" rim instead of spacers.

I do not really understand the point of getting spacers without a lift. I have 2" lift and 265/75/16 tires, in my case spacers would help me to install 285/75/16 cause they will rub springs and radius arms. But in your case.... I don't even know. This will make some sense if you'd like to have something wide but not tall, like 285/60/16, 285/55/16. And even in this case I bet that you'd like to have a proper 8" rim instead of spacers.

spacers are to push your rims out, so to help with COG and they just make your wheels stick out, without modification and to some they think it looks better that way. perhaps not very practical for the offroader, but for just a road car, they are perfectly acceptible.

Although, some insurance companys will void your insurance if you have wheel spacers, and at some offroad sites, wheel spacers are not allowwed.

I do want to do off-roading so why wont some off road sites let me on??? I want to push the tyres out to fill the arches, because as you know the wheels and tyres on a standard disco are sat well inside the arches. Im opting for wheel spacers at the mo because of cost and also i like my standard lr alloys but just want my disco to look abit chunkier. Thanks for sticking up for me bog monster. Dont wana start any argunig though, just need a little advise. Thanks guys. Pete.

It's probably just the ones who think that anything newer than a 1948 Series 1 hybrid on Firestone SATs is heresy and the culprit should be burned on a stake :)

Seriously though, I'd like to see a technical reason why they would be banned when presumably people who chop up and re-weld steel rims to alter the offset are allowed to do that (no disrespect to the people who do that BTW - but it is basically doing the same thing!)

Oh Dear what have i started. Think ill go for 245/70R16 and play safe! Still guna put the spacers on when i get them. Spoke to a bloke at local tyre place and he said he'd put a few on and see what we can make fit without i disturbing anything, What a helpful man! price for bfg 245/70r16 didnt seem to bad from him either, £110 a tyre all in. Thats not a bad price is it???????

Many offroad clubs and indeed - offroad sites - try to comply with msa rules for various reasons. The most common is for insurance purposes.

The MSA have a set of rules that cover all aspects of off road events as well as covering nearly all other forms of 4 wheeled motorsport in the UK. Some rules we can overrule with SRs (supplementary regulations) and some we can't.

The wheel spacer regulation is one that we can't negate in our SRs and reads like this....

E12.8.2 Not to be fitted with any wheel spacer exceeding 2.5cm in thickness or of less than hub diameter. Multiple or laminated spacers and extended studs are prohibited.

so basically your average wheelspacer is not allowed under MSA rules no matter who has tested and approved it.

Ok, thaats interesting, but still cant see what is so bad or dangerous about them. Before my disco i had a navara double cab (for work reasons) i had 30mm spacers fitted for 2 and a half years and they never failed or caused any problems whatsoeva and i used to hammer that pickup! Anyway lll see what happens, probably still go for them for now and see what happens. If i was to go for new wheels what do i need to get to achieve what i want? (pushing tyres out to fill arches)

Thanks for all your replies so far! Pete.

Will they fit my td5 with 30mm spacers ok then without rubbing? Bigger the better!!!

Don't kid yourself ;) it's only a matter of time before you'll be sporting a nice 2" lift, they'll fit then, ask me how I know...

Pete

EDIT: Just realised you're still going to use the spacers, which I'm not using so my post is probably not that accurate, however, I still can't see a problem.

Will they fit my td5 with 30mm spacers ok then without rubbing? Bigger the better!!!

Somebody had played a bad joke with you. YOU DON'T NEED SPACERS TO FIT TYRE SIZES UP TO 265 IN WIDTH. As "africanpete" said, don't fool yourself and go with 2" lift if you want something significant bigger. Otherwise just go with 245/75/16 as you've been told without any spacers.

Cheers mate!