general grabber at/2 tyre question

nicks90

what are these like for road noise and handling and wear rates?

got the option of buying some cheap for the disco2 to replace the worn mitchelins - but they look quite agressive and i'm worried they might be rather noisy and handle like pooh on the road.

The disco does get offroad use, travelling across rtv sites for marshalling duties etc. so they will come in handy - but i dont want to compromise the daily tarmac battles to work too much. :angry:

any opinions would be wonderful.

Nick

I have them on my disco. They aren't noisy in the slightest. Drive just like any other branded AT as in fine, No problems but probably not quite as good as a 100% road tyre. They are a very good all round tire IMHO. Seem good on twisty back roads. I tow the challenge truck and trailer (which must be nearly 3 ton) on the motorway at well above advisable speeds and they are fine but they also seem to grip reasonably when you need to drag it all into a field. Wear wise I cant really comment as Ive only had them on for about 4-5000miles but no noticeable wear yet so I think they will be OK.

Basically they are a good tyre at a good bit less than a BFG. If you have chance of some at reasonable cost then buy them, You wont be disappointed.

Got them on my Ranger and agree with all of the above - I would buy another set without hesitation and I would buy them over the BFG AT because of the price difference (I have BFGs on the Discovery). I don't know how the UK prices compare but BFGs are 25% more expensive here.

They tend to lock up and slide on the back of the Ranger when braking hard in the wet, but then so did the old road tyres and I think this has more to do with the fact the back end of most of the Jap pickups doesn't weigh much when empty, and weighs even less when you stand hard on the brakes :)

I don't think they will last as long as BFGs but that remains to be seen - no signs of wear on mine yet even with quite a few miles in 2WD on gravel which is a tyre-chewing business at the best of times.

Just coming up to 17000 miles on mine and no real signs of wear. Good tyre that helped sort out the wandering nature of the Disco 2 on the British roads. Road noise is slightly increased, but you won't really notice unless you are on a concrete road with the windows down...

Never had any problems with grip in the wet or dry on the road. They also proved quite good on a wet summer trip to Seven Sisters in Wales. We didn't do anything spectacular, but they provided a very good level of grip on grass, mud and loose rock/shale.

The one thing I did notice was a drop in MPG. Lost about 30 miles from a full tank, but I can live with that. It certainly wouldn't stop me buying more when this set wear out.

HTH

Adrian

Just measured mine this morning with a gauge - 235/70R16 size

New tyre in the shop is about 13mm tread

Fronts have 11mm left

Rears have 10.5mm left (the Ranger is 2WD most of the time so wears the rears quicker)

Not sure of the mileage probably about 4000 miles which would suggest they should be good for 20k or so. This might sound horrendous but bear in mind that a set of BFG ATs only lasts me to the mid 20k miles on the roads here :) - so the wear rate of the AT2s on my Ranger is not much different to the wear rate of the BFGs on the Discovery. Not exactly a back to back comparison but looks promising to me.

That's good to know Stephen.

The RR is used only for on road but I put the AT2's on hoping that wear rates would be good. Not a fan of standard fit M+S tyres like Wrangler HP, Scorpions etc due to the fact that as soon as they are half worn the RR starts to tramline badly.

Having the beefier AT's also helps when you have to put it into verge to avoid the idiot who comes round a blind bend in the middle of the road, or the drivers that expect to you to put your 4x4 in the hedge so they can keep their shinny new car 2 ft from edge of road. :rolleyes::rolleyes: Happens all the time around here.

Cheers

Steve

Having the beefier AT's also helps when you have to put it into verge to avoid the idiot who comes round a blind bend in the middle of the road, or the drivers that expect to you to put your 4x4 in the hedge so they can keep their shinny new car 2 ft from edge of road. :rolleyes::rolleyes: Happens all the time around here.

I would have thought a big Foff ARB roo bar would be more effective in addressing that problem :lol:

Have them in 245/75/16 flavor on my 300Tdi Disco.. I'm well impressed, just got back from a 2,500 mile trip to the Pyrenees where they performed very well...

No real signs of wear yet (probably done about 6,000 miles on them) and i'll be getting some more when these wear out.

• 2 weeks later...

oh well, the general at2 option didnt pan out...

BUT, i have managed to secure a set of these :D

disksp~1.jpg

brand spanking new Cooper Discoverer Sport HP for just under £50 a tyre :P:lol: B)

ok, they aint as aggressive as the AT2, but they gotta be better than a set of almost bald mitchelin xpc LR standard fitment jobbies.

Dont look much cop offroad, but you never know - might be another one of them directional tyres that look like they will struggle but end up surprising you cos they`re directional. Same as the macho type m/t - i thought they looked a bit tame but they have outperformed my old bfg m/t tenfold imho....