Landrover Steering Boxes - Info ?

zim

Hi,

Whilst at billing, i had a chat to the guys that make the steering boxes for landrovers, but for the life of me i can't remember the company name :(

Have had a search on the net / here, but i'm not very good at finding any info :(

At the show, they had a colour brochure showing the different boxes through the ranges, and i remember him telling me that the disco 2's (i think) had more upgraded internals than the defenders and earlier disco's. This is what i want to check.

Do the defender / disoc td5's use a stronger steering box than the older v8 disco's.

Thanks

Gordon

The Disco2 box is strongest, however it also mounts differently to every other LR steering box :rolleyes:

The guys you were talking to were probably Adwest.

thanks for the quick reply !

i already have an older v8 box for my hybrid, but got a little bargain on ebay today for a tenner !

from a disco td 5 between 2002 and 2004 (he wasn't sure of the exact year).

how different are the mounts ?

1fdc_1.JPG

This is the shape of them:

Mount_3.jpg

thanks, is this your good work :) ?

are the splines the same the same as a defender on the steering column end ?

are the splines the same the same as an older disco on the drop arm, as i see this is a different shape. The older disco looks straight as opposed to the new banana'd one !

G

It is my work, I guess it must be OK as it's still attached :ph34r:

No but you can use a Disco2 UJ and a Defender shaft & top joint and it all fits.

are the splines the same the same as an older disco on the drop arm, as i see this is a different shape. The older disco looks straight as opposed to the new banana'd one !

No, the splines are different as far as I know. I'm fairly sure it also has one "missing" spline for alignment.

It is my work, I guess it must be OK as it's still attached :ph34r:

No but you can use a Disco2 UJ and a Defender shaft & top joint and it all fits.

No, the splines are different as far as I know. I'm fairly sure it also has one "missing" spline for alignment.

cheers :)

so you just used the disco 2 drop arm then i assume ?

have you any more pics of it fitted, and what chassis are you on ?

thanks for your replies

Gord

Or if you were having a proper chat with the Adwest bloke at Billing ,he would of told you that they make a box for Tomcat , Defender housing and D2 internals and quick ratio if requiered . Bout £550 IIRC

So about double the price of a D2 box & arm brand new from them then :o

I just used a D2 drop arm, they seem pretty beefy. The chassis is Series 3 109" with a couple of tweaks.

A couple more piccies:

box_mounted.jpg

whole_setup.jpg

Or if you were having a proper chat with the Adwest bloke at Billing ,he would of told you that they make a box for Tomcat , Defender housing and D2 internals and quick ratio if requiered . Bout £550 IIRC

Not quite, cause I wanted to do this at home; The adwest option is actually a London taxi housing with D2 internals (The D2 internals wont fit the defender housing :( ) Its still not quite a bolt on setup, because there is no support for the panhard bracket. Its a conversion I want but its either very complicated or expensive and this far I havent found a solution for my car (which is also LHD to make it even more complicated).

daan