Clutch help...

Kim Horsevad

Right, after having observed some minimal slipping of the clutch at high (2500) rpms the new heavu-duty clutch arrived today.

But after the clutch assembly has been disassembled I was kind of puzzled to see that the old clutch has no noticeable wear. Infact the old clutch measures 9,11 mm in thickness and the new one measures 9,13 mm in thickness.

The old clutch (and clutch cover) has done 60000km.

There has been no oil leak from the flywheel housing, but there is a very light smear of oil on the bottom inside of the flywheel housing. How much oil mist is required before the clutch expirience slippage?

Old clutch friction plate:

post-1230-1220300099_thumb.jpg

And flywheel:

post-1230-1220300145_thumb.jpg

I would agree with G8MUD , Diaphram tension lost , May be caused by mis adjusted pedal travel or weak cover , Also flywheel may be rutted which would also contribute to slip .

Really appreciate the answers. This one has me puzzled a bit.

Flywheel checked with straight-edge. No irregularities in surface.

Pedal adjusted with 15mm free play as per manual.

How does one check the tension in the cover diaphram? Is it normal for a Borg/Beck cover to loose tension over 2 years/60000km?

& a 90/110 clutch friction plate 'normal duty' should have 6 anti shock springs, the 'heavy duty' version has 8 springs.

The new (ftc1994) heavy duty has eight springs, the old one is a valeo normal duty specified for 200tdi defender. However, I dont think the number of springs has anything to do with clutch slippage - and the friction area of the old clutch and the new heavy-duty is actually the same.

One thing I missed earlier is the relase bearing on the input sleeve , Check for grooves/ruts in the sleeve and operation of the bearing back and forth on the sleeve for smoothness , Apart from that most of the criteria is covered and would point to the diaphram cover failing to hold the pressure against the friction plate , Which sadly due to cost effectiveness these days could be down to poor quality or even remanufautued materials used to make the cover , Borg &beck , LUk , sachs , They are all at it using carp metals to make a few more quid .

I have had the situation where corrosion inside the slave cylinder caused the piston to travel slowly back to the normal position. This was not accompanied by fluid leakage, so remained invisible for some time. However, it did cause the clutch to slip slightly as drive was taken up. This 'machine controlled' clutch release did make it difficult to find the engagement point on occasion, as the slippage was not under driver control. The noticeable result was a short clutch life between changes. In this case short meant 50,000 miles.

Obviously this situation does not mirror yours, but it is an example of a clutch slip problem being outside the area of the friction plate. In this way it is similar to the sticking release bearing mentioned by Ciderman.

Good Luck