Strange Steering

I have a strange problem with my steering.

When driving around town and bends aren't taken at any pace the steering seems to be a bit vague at first and then seems to bite.

if the bend is on a bit of a quicker road then the steering seems to be ok.

I've had a search around and i have a sneaky suspicion from the threads I've read that I may have a problem with the panhard bushes or some large nut on my steering box. I'm guessing some of these bushes haven't been changed in 20 years .

Does anyone have any other possibilities or anything that can help me diagnose the problem?

Thanks

Steve

Assuming it is bushes, then the reason it's vague in the straight ahead position is that there is little side load on the bushes in this condition, leaving them free to move around a bit. Once cornering everything loads up and the bushes are forced to one end of their play and held there - thus it feels tighter.

I have also had a similar problem with rack & pinion steering where the centre portion of the rack had worn - not sure but I would imagine similar wear could happen to other types of box too - if so then it is fairly easy to check - just look for the play ;)

Cheers all,

I hope this bloody rain slows down over the weekend so I can get out and have a look.

Threesheds, it doesn't feel too vague in the straight position, just when you start going into a bend and then it seems to wake up about half way round, a bit like it's decided to under steer and then decides to over steer

Cheers all,

I hope this bloody rain slows down over the weekend so I can get out and have a look.

Threesheds, it doesn't feel too vague in the straight position, just when you start going into a bend and then it seems to wake up about half way round, a bit like it's decided to under steer and then decides to over steer

Then I would go for bushes too, and like someone mentioned earlier, don't forget the rear ones. I once saw a Range Rover that had a back axle so loose it could be seen moving fore and aft from a following vehicle... :o