Td5 Performance Exhaust

What do you guys recommend for Td5 performance exhaust? Is the Td5 Alive Exhaust any good?

Thank you in advance.

Unless you really want a stainless exhaust, then the standard set-up isn't bad at all. Most of the replacement exhaust systems are the same bore as standard anyway, so you won't gain a huge amount.

The best setup on a Td5 without spending a fortune (in my opinion) is:

A Pre 2002 specification None Cat Down pipe, a straight through centre silencer (or one with a smaller, straight through silencer) and a standard rear set-up.

Ian

Guest diesel_jim
Sorry for the hi-jack :ph34r:

I would be interested to know what difference a complete 3" system makes over standard or other performance exhausts?

I fitted a 3" system to my 300Tdi, along with a hollowed out center box. apart from more noise, the engine revved a little better, but that was it.

after i got ged up with the noise i fitted a standard Tdi system back on, but with a V8 sports silencer i had in the garage ( from the old rimmer brothers system i had on an old 110), and a straight out pipe, so reducing the diameter back to 2.5", and there was little difference in performance.

As Ian says, standard parts and a straight through pipe sounds good.

I've got the reverse on my Td5... non cat downpipe, standard middle silencer but straight through rear system (the remains of the V8 sports system from above ^^)

There's a nice growl to the exhaust, turbo whistle sounds nice too!

The best way to increase the power is to let the engine breath more easily.

My suggestion:

Either fit a de cat pipe, as previously recomended

If you want to leave the cat in so it doesnt fail the mot ( it pysically needs to be there), get a bar and a hammer, and beat the insides out!!

Also remove the mid box. This may make the vehicle a bit louder but not boy racer like.

If you want to leave the cat in so it doesnt fail the mot ( it pysically needs to be there), get a bar and a hammer, and beat the insides out!!

You do not need a CAT on a diesel... regardless of whether it was there from new or not.

The current 2008 MOT system for Diesel (i.e. compression ignition) vehicles only requires an Opacity test, (i.e. smoke) and not an actual emissions test as per petrol (spark ignition engine).

The CAT (and for that matter the EGR) does not actively affect smokeā€¦. This differs from a diesel particulate filter (which is also exempt from testing at the current time). The only requirement is that the max smoke value for a turbo charged diesel is a mean (of the last 3 smoke tests) not exceeding 3.00m-1. For an initial 'fast pass' the smoke value must be below 1.50m-1.

In simple terms.... the only reason a modern diesel have CATs and EGR (along with other things) is to enable a manufacturer to meet the current EU legislation (for example EU4/5), but once a vehicle model has been type approved, and sold to the customer... the customer is technically free to do what they like regarding emissions, as long as they meet the requirements of their country, which in the UK is just the MOT test.

Ian

Unless you really want a stainless exhaust, then the standard set-up isn't bad at all. Most of the replacement exhaust systems are the same bore as standard anyway, so you won't gain a huge amount.

The best setup on a Td5 without spending a fortune (in my opinion) is:

A Pre 2002 specification None Cat Down pipe, a straight through centre silencer (or one with a smaller, straight through silencer) and a standard rear set-up.

Ian

Ian,

Can you supply the exhaust you mention above? I already have the pre 02 down pipe. Just need the rest.

I'm in the US, so it would have to be shipped here.