K&N Filter

kevinr

I was told yesterday that replacing the standard filter on my 3.9 V8 would improve performance and fuel economy as the engine would be able to breath more easily.

Now I thought the reverse would be true, and the V8 would suck fuel like a whale drinks water, to compensate for the extra air in the system.

So..is he just talking the preverbial brown stuff, or is there some truth to this?

K&N's can cause issues with the MAF because of the oil used on the air filters.

Also If u want extra performance then you must be able to get the increased fuel mixture into the engine so bigger inlet valves and also for the valve to remain open longer so a different camshaft. Then you must get rid of the burnt gasses so the exhaust must be changed etc etc.

Stay with the replacement paper filter :D

thanks for the replies :)

I've got no intention of replacing the filter, since my next goal for the car is megasquirt, and then a snorkel and extending the breather pipes, I just thought I'd ask the more knowledgable people about this little tidbit of info I got :)

Well, Kevin, now you know what the forum consensus is on K&N filters. As we have saved you from two expensive things, ie:

1) buying a K&N filter

2) rebuilding your engine about a year later

Maybe you should throw a fiver at the forum :)

Stick around mate, this forum is well worth being on.

I'm using a standard 200TDi filter on my 4.6 and it flows fine, bear in mind 1bar of boost will result in doubling the airflow, so a 2.5 engine will flow enough for a 5.0 (very approximately). If you've got the space, the 110 V8 airbox and filter are monstrous.