Defender Td5 ROW spec???

the last of the ROW 300TDi's were virtually the same as a Td5 except for the engine, but Td5's were fitted after the 300Tdi engine went out of production & now the Td5 has gone the new 2.4 engine has taken over with different settings for the non-european markets.

Uncle Bog has arrived :)

Ralph is more or less correct (as usual :rtfm:)

There are:

ROW spec 300Tdis from pre 1998 which were basically "non EGR non Cat" versions of what you would buy in the UK. ROW spec Tdi Discoverys had a non EDC engine on the automatic model, whereas the UK version had EDC on all autos.

ROW spec Td5 engines have the EGR deleted on later vehicles (2002 onwards) and also (I think) no cat in the exhaust. I believe there is also a difference in the ECU tune though I don't know what the difference is - anyway it is designed to make the engine more tolerant to poor quality fuel, which is effective right up until the fuel pump packs up with all the Sh&%^ in it :lol:

However there isn't a definite answer as you can also get ROW engines which do have EGR (as an option) so it is not that simple...

As you will all know the 300Tdi was discontinued for legislative markets (UK/EU etc) in 1998 and replaced by the Td5 engine. However the 300Tdi continued in production up to the end of 2006 model year, alongside the Td5, and you could order either for the non-legislative export countries, i.e. those without lots of interfering busybodies counting all their ozones :huh: - the only difference being that the Tdi engines were built in South America - I believe the rights to manufacture it were sold to the Brazilian company International, who then developed it into the 2.8 TGV as well as building them under license for Land Rover.

The Tdi was finally killed off, with the Td5, at the end of 06 model year, and the only option is the Puma from 2007 model onwards.

There is no longer a "ROW spec" for the Puma engined vehicles, what they ship to these parts now is called "MMR" which stands for "minor markets RHD" - basically the same thing though. The ones here are built to EU2 emissions, but you can get an EU4 which I think is more or less the same as UK version.

The other differences are that some of the posh options and derivatives (e.g. the Defender XS vehicles) are not available on ROW/MMR vehicles which tend to have a more basic spec level, so my 110 (2006 300Tdi, as Ralph says similar to a Td5 of the same age apart from the engine) has a white roof, rubber floor coverings, manual windows, no central locking or alarm system.

Here endeth the lesson :)

Guest diesel_jim
ROW spec Td5 engines have the EGR deleted on later vehicles (2002 onwards) and also (I think) no cat in the exhaust. I believe there is also a difference in the ECU tune though I don't know what the difference is - anyway it is designed to make the engine more tolerant to poor quality fuel, which is effective right up until the fuel pump packs up with all the Sh&%^ in it :lol:

If anyone plays with a nanocom (and probably other ECU 'putas), there is a whole list of base maps you can upload (nanocom comes with them), included are RoW, europe, Japan (There's loads... about 30 different maps including Discovery)

So i suppose, if you were going to take your UK spec Td5 across the boonies, you could upload a RoW map and let it still run on poo fuel. I expect the peformance might be a bit down though.

Guest diesel_jim
Brilliant - thanks for all the replies.

Are there any other differences with ROW spec vehicles (transmission, suspension, trim etc) or is it purely just an engine/map thing?

As uncle-bog says, some of the trim can be different (more basic?) but suppose there's always vehicles that slip through the net..... maybe a RoW base vehicle with a county pack added?

The ROW world spec 300 Tdi was sold here as a 'Kalahari'. It had the rubber mats and TD5-type electronic instruments, no central locking or electric windows. I personally know of three owners, one of whom swopped in a TD5 for it. They are all very happy and have to fight off people wanting to buy them.

Their only problem is the normal one of having to use LR for servicing to keep the warranty alive (and the wallet dead :( )

I sometimes think they should have called it the 'Luddite' instead :)

Guest diesel_jim
You can get Countys, or as it is now known the S pack - had a nice one in the other day, a Puma 110SW S, aircon fitted, electric windows, remote central locking etc plus full carpeted interior to soak up the rain :)

LOL!! a "spack".... that sums up some of the salesmen really!

Oi! :rtfm:

The standard one is called an "E", the County equivalent is an "S", and then you have the XS etc as found in Chelsea :)

and Northampton!

Long live my heated seats (that my wife leaves on and 2 days later I wonder why the bottom of my rucksack is so warm).

Is it also the case that the locks are different on RoW spec. I read somewhere that the door lock and the ignition uses the same key? Maybe even the fuel cap? Imagine that luxury!

All the ones here have the ignition key that opens the door cap, but the fuel cap still needs a separate key. Changed in 2002 I think, and as far as I know the Pumas are the same.

So Defender has now made it into the 20th century :rolleyes: