Camp beds in back of 110?

hattymender

I ask with due trepidation, sure it's been discussed but search didn't show any results. :unsure:

Camp beds in a 110 hard top? Full conversion to camper a bit ott, just thinking of an occasional overnight trip, so doesn't need to be anything fancy. Tents are an option but it slows things down having to rig them, especially in the rain. I just want the ability to come home from work, chuck in gear and go.

Have in mind a couple of 'stretcher' type beds so they can be stowed when not in use, possibly mounted 'mid height' where tub joins sides. I can get alloy box section at right price (i.e. free) so thought of a beam (which folds) front and rear across body with location lugs for the beds. Then they could be rolled up and strapped to the side panel and beams folded away when not in use.

Using floor of tub not on due to LPG tank behind bulkhead, floor width and dogs. Wife won't leave home without at least two so they get the floor + gear etc.

Anybody done similar or point me to a link?

Cheers

Guest diesel_jim

I'm going to convery my 110 SW to have a bed in the back, not sure how to go about it yet.

might make something hang off of a frame on or near the back door, then drop the middle seats down and have it coming over there.

I've also go disco front seats in mine, and they fold right back down flat, which could be handy to get some extra room.

I'll just need some frilly curtains for all the windows next! :lol::lol:

look at all you posh fellows with air beds! i just chuck my 4 season sleepin bag in my 90 tub! being 6ft it does get a little cramped, but at least its somewhere to kip!

In the november LRO they have a design that folds down from one side i think. then folds forwards over the gear stick.

If you have free access to alli box you should easily beable to make this a couple of nuts and bolts and some box is all it really takes!

Bloody smart though Mark :)

Moes ply idea isn't so daft. I use B&Q loft t&g flooring boards. About £3.50 a pack does the job bridging the wheelarches, then plonk the airbed in, 30seconds of T-Max twinpump compressor and its done. Big union jack flags act as curtains, they bungee up easily enough.

Will :)

I bought this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=230274740300 last month - the pictures aren't great, but there's a wooden base across all of the load bed in places supported with a metal bar and held in place with bolts.

Underneath the sleeping base are 2 large storage boxes. There are also lights/power sockets/cooker/diesel heater fitted.

If you want, I'll take some better pictures at the weekend, and try to give a bit more information ( having been away kayaking and mountain biking at the weekend and getting ready to go away again on Thursday at the moment I'm both knackered and busy :-( )

• Like 1

I bought this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=230274740300 last month - the pictures aren't great, but there's a wooden base across all of the load bed in places supported with a metal bar and held in place with bolts.

Underneath the sleeping base are 2 large storage boxes. There are also lights/power sockets/cooker/diesel heater fitted.

If you want, I'll take some better pictures at the weekend, and try to give a bit more information ( having been away kayaking and mountain biking at the weekend and getting ready to go away again on Thursday at the moment I'm both knackered and busy :-( )

Sorry about slow reply, work banished me to darkest Lancashire for a few days with no PC access.

Now that does look interesting. Simple plank for bed base and enough room for farting Labradors below. Need to devise some way of either folding away for traveling, bit tough on dogs being stuck under bed base but that shouldn't be beyond the wit of man (or me).

That looks like neat setup - some more pictures - or even just some bigger versions of the auction ones - and a writeup would be really good.

cheers

Mark

Right, here are the pictures as promised.

Sleeping platform

--------------------

The loadbed has a platform made out of ply wood, supported by steel crossmembers bolted to the side of the vehicle. Underneath the platform are 2 large storage boxes that run most of the depth of the load bed. There is a place for the last part of the platform to slot in between the platform and the boxes in order to give more storage room at the back, it can also double as a small table, with one person sitting on each wheel arch ( when doing this the space is rather limited ).

103031324.jpg

Ply-lined inside

103031336.jpg

The platform with foam removed

103031388.jpg

Storage boxes underneath the platform

103031390.jpg

Crossmember bolted to the side of the vehicle

103031391.jpg

103031392.jpg

The last part of the platform removed and slotted in underneath to provide a table - 2 of us have sat in the back for a couple of hours, but space is limited

103031397.jpg

103031399.jpg

103031400.jpg

103031403.jpg

Wingnuts aide quick removal of the platform

103031406.jpg

Cooker

---------

There is a cooker bolted to the back door. This works well, but with hindsight I would have built a drop down shelf that could have fitted a cooker - this would have given more flexibility and not cut into the storage space in the rear as much ( you need to reckon on the thickness of the cooker when filling up the rear storage area, otherwise you could damage the cooker/you can't close the door )

103031327.jpg

103031328.jpg

103031330.jpg

Lighting

---------

The guy that fitted out Gertrude provided plenty of lighting - 2 halogen downlighters - one by the rear door ( handy for cooking and when sitting in the back ) and one close to where your head is when laid out. In addition to the lighting, there are various clamps/hooks/storage nets for keeping small items neat and tidy/easily to hand

Downlighter just inside the rear door - very useful when cooking at night.

103031333.jpg

Hooks, clips, bungee cord, storage net and a rechargable Maglite

103031336.jpg

Reading lights on both sides

103031338.jpg

Random bag of bits and pieces to hand by the back door

103031346.jpg

103031353.jpg

There are more pictures at http://www.pbase.com/simonhawkes/landrover_-_inside