Steering wobbles

disco_al

• 1 month later...

well it's been a while since i last had a look at this problem, but last weekend i rebuilt the N/S swivels with new swivel bearings (TRE's already done from before), preload set,, wheel bearing set - and it still shakes about over potholes.

not much left to try now, so going to get both wheels off the ground tomorrow (if it's not too cold outside) and give everything a damn good inspection.

:blush: um....not yet, no :blush:

but it does feel more like suspension related than steering to me, feels like the wheel is bouncing up and down.

i have a later type drop arm and drag link, so may swap that over as i don't like the earlier "ball joint in drop arm" design.

I solved my problems. I should have posted an update sooner - sorry.

I replaced all 4 TRE's and changed the front shocks for Britpart Cellular's. I know a lot will think this is heresy but I'll never buy pro-comp again. 14 months old and all the damping properties of a blancmange.

My problem was solved straight away and the truck has never handled so good. Look again at your shockers al....

hmmm, the ones i fitted are gabriel gas units (got them through work) that are usually pretty good.

i had a quick check around at lunchtime, and have found a bit of play in the n/s wheel, so i will recheck and tighten the bearing back up a bit.

the o/s t/r end wouldn't budge when i had a go at it last, so will probably whip it off completely to have a go at it

IMHO steering dampers only mask issues not solve them, there should be no real shakes etc without a damper fitted at all.

I would (and have myself) change all your radius and panhard rod bushes for piece of mind (proper ones not poly but that is another debate) as I had naff radius arm bushes that was causing my front axle to jump about.

I need to do the swivel preload on mine as I get the same shakes even with a brand new box, bushes, springs and dampers and know my swivels are a bit loose.

Steering/suspension shakes are great fun to find! :rolleyes: