Road tyre for CLassic

mad_pete

Hi,

What's a good road tyre ( including size ) for a range rover classic ? I had a search on the forum but couldn't find anything so apologies if there is

a master tyre review section somewhere.

almost 50 years of driving, almost 40 years of driving 4x4 (Toyos & Nissans) 26 years of owning two Rangies '80 and a '93 I have tried a few but always went back to Michelin, standard 205x16, IMHO best handling, best miles/Klm per buck for my type of use.

Remember everyones use and driving will be different, so there will be almost as many opinions as there are drivers.

For Michies you might get some clues here http://www.michelin.com.au/home/default.asp

Goodyear Wranglers are a good tyre for road use. 205 R16s. Kumho tyres are good as well. Had them on the back with the goodyears on the front for many 1000's of miles. Like Bille said you'll probably get loads of opinions on this. But that's my 2 pence worth anyway.

As above different people have different requirements.

Last year my RRC only did about a thosand miles, so tyres that will last tens of thousands of miles is not so high on my priories list. I would cerataily agree with the using a 205R16 size, mine looks a little daft on the 205s (Its modefied to take bigger tyres for off road use) but they do handle better on the road than the 235/70R16 it used to have on it.

205x16 is the standard size for a range rover, which you should be able to get from anywhere. I think 205x16 actually equates to 205 / 80 r16.

Where did you get 205/75 R16 from?

IIRC that truck had 225/75R16's on it simply cos they were what I had lying around. 225/75 have the same rolling diameter but are very slightly wider.

Jon

Hmm 205 / 75 / R16 seems a tricky size to get. Anyone know of a good place to get em from ?

You should be looking for 205 / 80 / R16, that is the section of an ordinary 205 x 16, they might be easier to find. Not heard of 205/75s.

I have General Grabber APs on the back and Kuhmo something or others on the front, just what was available at the time. This combo seems to handle OK and wear is not that noticeable yet, although I don't do many miles.

Michael

• 2 weeks later...
I got it from some difflock post. Maybe I'll have more luck with 205 / 80 / R16. The muds on there are okay but they are a little bit skittish and for 2 ton I like the handling to bit that shade more predictable.

personly 235.70.16 is what im on and have been great,the wider the tyre the better .