200tdi wont start without 'easy start' spray

richp110

Hello all, I'm having problems starting my 200tdi engine which i bought recently.

It starts pretty well when I use easy start, but will not start without it.

I have tried starting it with 2 batteries on (both fully charged) but it makes no difference.

It runs+idles fine once started with the easy start spray.

Hope someone can help!

thanks

I would suggest checking that your lift pump is working ok. Using easy start a lot is not a good idea.

Les.

Cheers Les,

Ive just been and tried the lift pump by hand, should the action on the lever be positive?

(as in with a bit of resistance when i pump it) because it has resitance for a couple of tries then goes loose again.

If the pump wasnt working ok, why does it still run?

Thanks for your prompt reply and help!

Use of easy start except in dire emergency is a BAD THING.

Could be one of several problems:

1. Dead glow plugs: is the fuse intact and are the plugs drawing current
  2. Low compression due to worn rings / bores (once the oil has circulated the rings seal better
  3. Worn valves (low compression again)

Does it burn any oil? If not could be the valves.

Note that the TDI engine should start without the aid of glow plugs in summer and mostly in winter unless it's very cold. Hence my comments regarding compression.

Easy Start is addictive to diesels! If you use it too much the engine may need it more and more. don't know why but experience proves!

Thanks for your help everyone.

Ive just changed my lift pump - definately pumping better.

I can smell fuel at the exhaust after cranking too.

Does anyone agree that it sounds like glowplugs? (but why if it doesent really need them) - mind boggles

Comical engineer! - thanks for the list

I dont think its burning oil.

thanks again

Don't take any notice of the idiot light on the dash. The glows actually work whether you like it or not, even after the engine has started. If you switch on the 'ignition' the light will go out after a few seconds. Listen for the click of a relay and that is the glows switching off.

The only way to not use the glow plugs is to either have all dead ones or disconnect them.

As said before if the glow plugs are working or not the engine should start this time of year, i know all mine are u/s and have had a replacement set for the last 3 years and and not changed them yet. i think your problems are fuel or compression. Please try not to use easy start it will kill your engine.

Steve

By using a jump lead I earthed the glow plug and connected the feed from the relay to each one in turn when they werent in the head.

Yes, correct.

Now on topic:

I dont'n think the glows are the problem and since you have changed the lift pump with no positive effect I suggest a compression test.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all,

I have been away for a few weeks so havent managed to get a compression test done.

Whilst ive been away my dad has replaced all the glow plugs

Hes started it with easy start and it ran fine again with no blowing or sucking from the oil filler

(and stopped on the key perfectly) - stop solenoid must be fine?

He also checked the injection pump timing and all seems fine

One observation he made was that the fuel lines from the injection pump to injectors dont seem to squirt out a lot of diesel

Looks more of a drip than a spit.

its really frustrating!

thanks in advance

Hello all, I'm having problems starting my 200tdi engine which i bought recently.

It starts pretty well when I use easy start, but will not start without it.

I have tried starting it with 2 batteries on (both fully charged) but it makes no difference.

It runs+idles fine once started with the easy start spray.

Hope someone can help!

thanks

hi,

I realise that I have come into this conversation quite late on and have read all the comments. If all the things you have tried fail to correct this issue, then perhaps you could try checking all your earths.

I had an issue with my300TDi in that it would not start. I tried all sorts to get it started. Jump packs etc etc but all to no avail. I checked the 2 earths and they were fine too. What I did in the end was buy a 3rd Earth Lead and connect it directly between the engine and battery as the one on the starter motor and the one between the chassis and body didn't do the job.

This instantly changed the starting issues I had had with mine and I have never had a starting problem since.

Maybe I am barking up the wrong tree but it's another thought for you.

Good luck in your quest

Dave

Hello all,

I have been away for a few weeks so havent managed to get a compression test done.

Whilst ive been away my dad has replaced all the glow plugs

Hes started it with easy start and it ran fine again with no blowing or sucking from the oil filler

(and stopped on the key perfectly) - stop solenoid must be fine?

He also checked the injection pump timing and all seems fine

One observation he made was that the fuel lines from the injection pump to injectors dont seem to squirt out a lot of diesel

Looks more of a drip than a spit.

its really frustrating!

thanks in advance

Agree on compression test. This will definately tell you wether the problem is related to worn engine components or other faults.

Be VERY sure that the timing is correct. A faulty timing on 300 tdi can produce a situation where engine starts on easy-start (and runs fine after that), but will not start on its own.

I just wondered why you think that, is it because it will start with ether and not without?

cheers

-just like to learn

ps - is it a big job?

Hi, as everybody seems to think its a compression test next, to change rings the way I did it was drain oil, drop sump and drop each piston and con rod one at a time, I couldnt glaze bust the bores this way though, so if you want to do it properly , head off as well and glaze bust from top and replace pistons from top, unless Jim .knows an easy way