200tdi wont start without 'easy start' spray

richp110

hello kim

i have checked the timing using the drain plug + slot

and then through the hatch in the timing case

could it be possible that one of the the other pulleys are slightly out/?

Yes, it is possible to get the camshaft timing wrong. Mine was done by a stealer™ the first time and they got the cam one tooth out. The engine would start and run ok, but not as well as it should have done. Fixed that when I did the job myself. If your crank timing is one tooth out either way the engine will never start. But you have checked that.

I agree with the others that the first thing you should do or have done is a compression test.

Yes, it is possible to get the camshaft timing wrong. Mine was done by a stealer™ the first time and they got the cam one tooth out. The engine would start and run ok, but not as well as it should have done. Fixed that when I did the job myself. If your crank timing is one tooth out either way the engine will never start. But you have checked that.

I agree with the others that the first thing you should do or have done is a compression test.

Jim, could you clarify this for me please. could you describe what your engine was doing that wasnt as it should have been. Im beginning to wonder if I have made the same mistake that was made on yours and got a tooth out somewhere. probably thanks to parallax error of looking down on the timing gear and timing marks. Id like to see if the problem fits

thanks

I would expect that using Easy start for a long period of time would damage the engine (big end and small end bearings).

Have you noticed the horrendous clatter the engine makes when using easy start?

Easy start explodes like petrol, instead of burning like diesel and ignition would be at max compression, so right at TDC - directing forces directly down the conrod instead of throwing it over as it's designed to. I would imagine the bearings would get knocked out from the repeated hammering.

I'd like to strip an engine that has had this type of abuse.

Les.

No horrendous clatter at any time, and I have only used the spray 3 times.

Hopefully then I wont have caused any damage?

I have never driven with the engine because it came out of a disco, into a series 3 and i bought it all as an unfinished project.

• 11 months later...

hi

im having the same problem with my 200tdi (it just wont start) i have changed the fuel pump the glow plugs the fuel filter put fresh diesel in the fuel tank changed the oil checked all the earths (i even put an extra earth on just in case) i has got compression and lots of it! i have used easy start and it runs fine when running but not used it much because its evil for the engine,

it did have a cambelt change about 2000 miles ago with new pullies ect and was running fine till now, so im thinking its my timing i dont really no so its off to the garage as im out of ideas hope its not to expencive!

good luck with your engine

neil

I've heard that WD40 is better on a diesel engine than Easy Start, but I haven't tried it myself.

i wonder if the WD40 just works like a squirt of oil into the bores when doing a compression test?

i know one of the biggest problems with using easy start is the way it washes oil off the bores, meaning you have no lubrication around the piston rings. this is partly why engines get addicted to easy start, each time you use it it buggers the bores up a little bit more. and also the damage to the bearings as already mentioned.

hi

another problem with easy start is it can get past the first piston ring and then ignite blowing the ring to pieces or may blow lumps out the piston itself. This doesn't happen very often the only time i have seen it was an old tractor that was started on it for years. Easy start also does a very good job of cleaning the insides of the engine ie all the carbon that had built up on the valves and the pistons helping the seal gets removed so your compression drops again giving the appearance the engine is addicted.

back to the problem, you also mention that when removing the injector pipes from the injectors you only get a small dribble of fuel, i would have expected a lot more have you checked the pipes are clear and what amount of fuel you get out of the injector pump.

HTH

matthew

I would expect that using Easy start for a long period of time would damage the engine (big end and small end bearings).

Have you noticed the horrendous clatter the engine makes when using easy start?

Easy start explodes like petrol, instead of burning like diesel and ignition would be at max compression, so right at TDC - directing forces directly down the conrod instead of throwing it over as it's designed to. I would imagine the bearings would get knocked out from the repeated hammering.

I'd like to strip an engine that has had this type of abuse.

Les.

i agree with you les i had a vauxhall midi van isuzu engine this always needed easy start once hot was ok but it took about 6 months to kill it done the big ends you couldnt turn the radio up enough to drown out the knocking,chris.

Hi, i had the same problem on a iveco van. It turned out to be the diesel pump packing up. Had a new one fitted and it was fine after that oh and easy start bends youre conrods gradually so you start getting less than full piston stroke and hence less compression. Thats why some vehicles will take a full can before they start when they get bad.