Replacing window regulator

Andy J

I recently had to replace the regulator on the front passenger window as a result of the original nylon rollers disintegrating (a common problem apparently). Rather than try to manufacture replacement rollers it was much easier to buy a whole new mechanism (regulator) and not that expensive - replacement sourced from ( Britparts )

Step 1 - remove the inside door panel. 7 cross head screws and then prise off using a flat head screw driver. Be relatively gently with prising the panel away and work around the whole panel bit by bit to avoid breaking any of the nylon fixings.

Once the panel is mostly loose, disconnect the two speaker cables.

post-9415-1220871891_thumb.jpg

The door, with polythene cover

post-9415-1220871899_thumb.jpg

Step 2 - Disconnect the power connector to the motor for the window mechanism. This is just below the door release - there is a access hole in the door skin, you will just have to cut away some of the plastic to get to it

post-9415-1220871965_thumb.jpg

Step 3 - Lower the window slightly and support (so that it doesnt suddenly drop when you start disconnecting things). I used some rope and a plastic grip thingy (technical term :-))

post-9415-1220871941_thumb.jpg

Step 4 - Remove the 5 8mm bolts (in red in image) to release the old mechanism from the door skin. These are marked in Red below (Note - one of them is hidden under the tape)

post-9415-1220871905_thumb.jpg

Step 5 - Lower the window to the point you can undo the two 8mm bolts fixing it to the winding mechanismand wiggle the old mechnism out (motor and all)

post-9415-1220871925_thumb.jpg

The old gubbed mechanism - see the bent arms and missing rollers!

post-9415-1220871947_thumb.jpg

Contrast with the new one (Note the roller is now a sqaure block that slides up and down the runner)

post-9415-1220871911_thumb.jpg

Step 6 - remove the motor from the old mechanism to the new one. You will need a T30 six point security Torx bit. Not the standard 5 point bit.

post-9415-1220871953_thumb.jpg

motor fitted to new mechanism

post-9415-1220871960_thumb.jpg

Step 7 - Refit the new mechanism to the door body first and attach the electric connector to the motor.

Step 8 - Re-attach the window with the two remaining 8mm bolts to the new regulator. You will have to fiddle about a bit to get the mechanism in the right position but it isnt too difficult.

post-9415-1220871972_thumb.jpg

Step 9 - test the window raises and lowers as expected

Step 10 Refit the door panel - Job done

The process may be similar on other models from what i have seen on other forums but gives you an indication of what needs to be done. All in all it was pretty straight forward and i didnt skin my knuckles at all. Most time was spent nipping out to Halfords for the security Torx bits.

If you think ive missed anything or have any questions, please drop me a line

Cheers

Andy

You can split the images across several posts, if you do this I will tidy it up for you and then it looks like one for the tech archive - thanks ;)

Edited to add please could you upload the pictures at a smaller size say 800x600 this may solve the space problem!

You can split the images across several posts, if you do this I will tidy it up for you and then it looks like one for the tech archive - thanks ;)

Edited to add please could you upload the pictures at a smaller size say 800x600 this may solve the space problem!

Thanks - lesson learnt, and image sizes ammended accordingly!

Cheers

Andy

Thanks Andy, excellent post. I'm just trawling through looking for pics of an earlier model, 300, after a rather loud 'clunk' sounded in my door on the M6 yesterday and while passing Loch Lomond the glass dropped into the door!! :blink: Due to a bit of experience with these beasts, I dont go anywhere without even a rudimentary kit and I was able to pull it up and jam it..got me home dry and winsome if not windswept!! :lol: I'm going to continue my search but if anyone can point me in the right direction or a link, cheers!!

regards

Rob

Hi Rob and Thanks

I previously could only find info about this problem on older models - hence my post. I think the mechanisms look identical from what i've seen so far (in terms of how they work anyway)

Here's a website that shows exactly how to do a replacement for the rear window.

http://www.discoweb.org

Select the TECH header and then search for the topic "Rear Window Regulator"...

The front mechanism has the double arm, much like the one i did. Another thread here has description of a DIY fix for the same problem and a follow up talks about the front mechanism.

The only problem with this when i looked at mine was that once you had tried raising/lowering the window when the problem first happens, the arms get bent beyond the point of ever getting them completely right again. Hence i went and bought a new one - why not, it was only £25 - saved a lot of hassle and it will work perfectly.

Cheers

Andy

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Andy. Sorry been a while responding but been away. So, once I've fitted the new spotlights in the bathroom, sorted the new loo and cleared the rubble from the back yard I can relax and do the Disco door!! :P

Good link to the Aussie site but can't open the Discoweb one. They still about? My own link to them doesn't work either. :huh:

Cheers

Rob