Alternator wire??

mmgemini

What size cable are people fitting to 100amp alternators ???From the alternator to the starter/battery.

Where are you getting it from??

Are there any really heavy duty ring connectors that will fit the 6mmstud on the alternator.

Nothing in VWP is heavy enough.

I've fried mine.I suspect the running of the fridge in 65 deg ambiant could have something to do with it.

I eat rat poison

mike

I can cause trouble in an empty house !!!!

10mmsq, I (ahem) found it at work :rolleyes: you should be able to get something that size from VWP as starter cable, pick something with decent capacity and you can jump-start from your alternator terminal :blink: handy if the battery is under the seat :D

VWP code 37090 (170A) will do nicely.

Guest diesel_jim

On all my alternator/twin batteries/winch setups i've done in the past, i always use 35mm2 (thats supposede to read mm squared!) multi strand cable. it's like arc welding cable, and about the same diameter (slightly bigger) than the starter motor cables on LR's.

you can get various crimp on lugs, down to 35-6 (35mm cable, 6mm diameter hole in the end for the terminal)

thats supposede to read mm squared!

The only contribution I can add to this post (its not much and almost off topic) is......

For the square symbol i.e. mm sqaure use keystroke alt+0178 will produce ² i.e. = mm²

(hold down the ALT then use the right hand keypad and type 0178)

If you browse windows character map, you will see plenty of symbols, these ones I remember in my head...

Diameter ø = alt+0248

Squared ² = alt+0178

Cubed ³ = alt+0179

Degrees ° = alt+0176

Quarter ¼ = alt+0188

Half ½ = alt+0189

Three Quarter ¾ = alt+0190

They work with most "normal" fonts

(I do have an excuse, Im a Drafty by trade and early cad systems needed them typing in, not selectable like the modern cad programs)

Rog

The only contribution I can add to this post (its not much and almost off topic) is......

For the square symbol i.e. mm sqaure use keystroke alt+0178 will produce ² i.e. = mm²

(hold down the ALT then use the right hand keypad and type 0178)

If you browse windows character map, you will see plenty of symbols, these ones I remember in my head...

Diameter ø = alt+0248

Squared ² = alt+0178

Cubed ³ = alt+0179

Degrees ° = alt+0176

Quarter ¼ = alt+0188

Half ½ = alt+0189

Three Quarter ¾ = alt+0190

They work with most "normal" fonts

(I do have an excuse, Im a Drafty by trade and early cad systems needed them typing in, not selectable like the modern cad programs)

Rog

Excellent piece of information there Rog. ;)

As for the cable size, I use 8ga, don't know what that equates to in mm²

Are you guys really using 35mm² cable for the line from the alternator to the battery? :o Or is that from the starter to the battery?

Excellent piece of information there Rog. ;)

As for the cable size, I use 8ga, don't know what that equates to in mm²

Are you guys really using 35mm² cable for the line from the alternator to the battery? :o Or is that from the starter to the battery?

I think that 35mm^2 is approx AWG 3 (3ga).

Cheers,

Andrew.

Guest diesel_jim

Yeah, i use it everywhere. if you're going to run it from the battery to the winch, you might as well run it from the alternator to the battery, so there is no "weak link" in the charging circuit.

whilst were are on the subject of big wires :unsure:

can the earth for a winch and york connector (for jump leads) be bolted straight to chassis like the starter, or do i have to run an earth wire back to the battery ?

Dave,

I wired all my -Ve's back to the battery in cable(big), guranteed no duff connections/corrosion or resistance

Yep... :D

Alternator to the battery, joys of being a Sparky, cable that just needs using :ph34r: , my winch is wired in 2x35mm in parallel...so 70mm total.. no loss of voltage there then :lol:

:lol: And I thought my 50mm² winch cable was OTT. :rolleyes:

Guest diesel_jim
Yep... :D

Alternator to the battery, joys of being a Sparky, cable that just needs using :ph34r: , my winch is wired in 2x35mm in parallel...so 70mm total.. no loss of voltage there then :lol:

Same as that Les!!! :D