Exmoor Trim - Forum Report - What are they like !

Hi All,

FWIW Post................

Their are companies poor in service and product who do get "A Mention or 5" on this forum,

and deservedly so,....... its only fair then that when you come across a company like Exmoor Trim that they get their mention too.

I was 100% fed up with my seats, the vinyl was torn, .....I'd glued it back together and then the next seam split :( ,

the foam was 'going on holiday' at every possible opportunity, and the final straw was the old not very nice seat covers had ripped..

...and then 2 weeks after it had been washed I got in in - and felt all wet like, ....no not incontinence yet :P ......the seats had had it.

I phoned Exmoor Trim up and had a chat,

I described my seats and there was a puzzled "send me a picture" comment :blink:

I did and they then identified the seats as an early 90 seat, good, poss stronger than the late ones,

but the foam was different and the frame / covers needed tweaking to have a nice fit blah blah etc etc etc.....

Crest fallen .....I was then asked where I lived - I replied and then asked why ?

.....the answer was "Well we can trim modify and fit them for you for not much £s " :)

Frankly the trimming / fitting charge did it for me,

I set off a silly'o'clock this morning, in the car with both seats,

arrived at 9.30 and they removed the seats, showed me every options possible, gave me a coffee,

and then pulled my seat apart laughing at the state of the foams, which all needed replacing,

and they also did a couple of other repairs foc,

and pointed out that the factory had made the headrests with the frame the right way around but the foam wrong way around,

hence why I thought fior the last 6 years the headrests were a waste of time :rofl:

2 guys worked on the seats and frames and squabs whilst I waited the headrest foam was also age knacked (23 years worth).....

but still 1st they checked with me re the £12 to replace :), ............. ooooh yep, :)

As a result 2 hours later I left with 2 virtually new seats,

new covers (Grey Demin Twill as per TD5 current - or as Tonk would say Primer Vinyl :P)

new seat and back and headrest foams, ....and a pneumatic lumbat adjustment too for me bad back. :)

Some 4 hours later home I fitted them, having seen the work and effort of the guys building up the seats although they made it look easy it isn't

and is worth paying them the few quid to get them right, fitted now they not only look good but feel like new seats - what a difference,

as fridge said when I popped in to see him on the way home, not worth skimping on seats, .....whatever your 4x4 you spend a LOT of time in them :)

post-22-1221065829_thumb.jpg

Quality company, quality products and qulaity service, if your thinking of new seats retrim, upgrades etc - they are the biz in all areas

And their coffees good too :lol:

I was thinking of replacing the now knackered seat covers,

with this trim I can simply wash off with a hose - so no seat covers required,

even if I had bought new seat covers the entire seats / foam etc were falling apart,

this whiole episode hasn't cost much more than a set of whizzy - and prob ill fitting seat covers :)

Highly recomended is Exmoor Trim, and if you are reading this Paul and the guys there many many thanks :)

Nige

Nice one Nige,

I'm glad you took the time to write something nice for Exmoor....were all too quick to whinge, but hardly ever bother with the compliments.

I have dealt with these guys several times for smallish items, and without fail, they are always top-notch.

I keep promising myself a new set of modular seats in black Outlast cloth with the heated option ......and when my current seats finally give up the ghost, I will head to Exmoor without a moments hesitation.

Martin

When I bought my Defender in June 2003. The first thing I did was to fit two new front seats in cloth with the Land Rover logo in. I believe they came from Exmoor Trim

Now 70,000 miles later the drivers seat back foam was all out of shape. That could have been with the Defender used on long distances every day for nearly six months on southern Africa.

At Billing I bought a new foam seat back from Exmoor Trip.

Simple and easy to fit. I have a new seat now.

mike

Highly recomended is Exmoor Trim, and if you are reading this Paul and the guys there many many thanks :)

Nige

I wish they were so consistent. Bought some M&M seat covers at Billing (210 pounds worth) only to find out next day that they were wrong type, for new Defender 07on. Took almost a month to get replacement after numerous calls and e-mails, only to have same again. I know have two sets of MY2007 on.

Turns out that some packs have been labelled wrongly. Fair enough, but now it's almost two months and still no correct ones, again after many a chase up call by and promised delivery dates etc that haven't been met. Including waiting around for deliveries that never showed up, because the goods were never shipped.

Really poor customer service from Exmoor and their Billing reseller Nene Overland. Lost my patience now after they failed to deliver again this week and asked for a refund now.

Cheers

Steve

My experience some time ago, generally they were very good at getting items to you and quality is excellent. Sales staff informed and helpful.

However when they send the wrong items (as in not as ordered), getting them changed was quite a challenge.

In the end went for the refund option. It took several reminders to ensure credit card was refunded.

Just felt once they had your money they did not want to return it even if the error was not of your own making.

I suspect they don't like taking the hit on duplicated shipping costs and the administration team are slow to organize refunds.

It's all about priorities of the different functions I suppose! Sales strong on customer service, administration not!

John

I fitted new foam bases and covers - supplied by Exmoor Trim, and they were excellent quality. The seat bases were as good as original when the job was finished

Les..

Can I ask the question - how much did it cost? it is good to hear positive stuff and it sounds like being on site is the best way - but 'ow much (new seats are 300)

chrisp

To give you an idea a "Retrim" kit (2x front seats and 4x foams) in demin twill is about £110 + Vat

Seems that everyone agrees on the quality, but the mailorder side when it goes wrong leaves something to be desired :(, Steve G, try speaking to one of the bosses, from what I saw up there they are hugely busy, and some staff are a bit "lost" maybe at times, but they genuinely do seem a good bunch, I if you would be hacked off too, doubt its deliberate, more you need to get the right person ?

Nige :

Steve G, try speaking to one of the bosses, from what I saw up there they are hugely busy, and some staff are a bit "lost" maybe at times, but they genuinely do seem a good bunch, I if you would be hacked off too, doubt its deliberate, more you need to get the right person ?

Nige :

I did, but was fobbed off back to Nene Overland whose stand they were using at Billing. Not going to bother anymore, as I've had too many failed promises of them turning up and I've had enough of chasing them up.

Cheers

Steve

i have only dealt with them once, for a forward facing folding rear seat in the 90.

the seat is top quality and very comfy and the workmanship it top notch.

BUT...

the instructions to fit the seat was appalling. Bit of tatty a4 paper with a childs drawing scrawled on one side and no measurements or accurate pictures. Took me a while just to figure out which way round the seatbelt reel should go so it reeled in and out properly. no details of which bolts and spreader plates go with which bit of the seat mounts or belt mounts, no mention of where to fit the top bracket for the belt or which way round it goes, no template for cutting the CSW trim to fit the bracket etc etc

seatbelt itself is really short and wont fit larger built blokes without cutting them in half, or metion of where the belt anchor points should go in relation to the seat position so it can even go round the seat - never mind with a person in it! (i initially put them in the same relative position to the seat as the front seatbelts and front seats - seemed obvious - but the belt wouldnt even reach the buckle!!!)

the spreader plates supplied where rubbish. 2"x2" thin plates are not man enough imho to stop a seat belt anchor from pulling its way through the crappy ally tub floor in a 90. Ended up making some myself out of 6"x4" 6mm thick steel that sandwiched the rear tub support ribs.

nice product at a good price - carp instructions and carp fittings.

FWIW: A US trade supplier posted on the American D90 source forum last week that Exmoor had informed him they would be switching to a wholesale/trade only outfit as of Oct 1st. Whether this is for overseas customers only, the post didn't say but for anyone thinking of ordering soon, it's maybe worth checking.

I bought a hood stick set from them, and whilst it looked nice the instructions were useless, the galvanisation left a little to be desired and most of the bolts cross threaded themselves. They talked me through the fitting over the phone though, so that was ok, and the canvas I bought from them was tip top!

FWIW: A US trade supplier posted on the American D90 source forum last week that Exmoor had informed him they would be switching to a wholesale/trade only outfit as of Oct 1st. Whether this is for overseas customers only, the post didn't say but for anyone thinking of ordering soon, it's maybe worth checking.

Kev

How right you are!

The quote below is from their new section on the website.

John

ExmoorTrim going trade only distribution

"Over recent years our business has grown with ever increasing demands on production, which in some cases has struggled to keep pace with demand. Having completed a major investment programme which has seen the production area double, along with the installation of new CNC cutting technology and additional staff lead times have remained higher than we would like, due mainly to small production runs.

From the 1st of October 2008 we will become trade only which will enable us to run batch production and grow market share by working with a large number of trade outlets across the globe. We have already appointed a number of Key Distributors who will stock and promote our products; we shall publish shortly the outlets where you can source our products."