More D2 Suspension questions

NeilTD5

What a nightmare few days...

Firstly, the suspension sunk on our D2. What we'd discovered before was that air was leaking inside the compressor, as well as it drawing more than the 30amps, thus blowing the fuse it was decided a complete new compressor unit was needed.

So, 290 quid later and we've fitted the new compressor. All seems o.k, but there are some more mysteries now!.

Firstly, when starting the car, it pupms the compressor and raises its rear to about the right height, but there are two lights on the dash (the off road and SLS lights). then, when you switch the car off, it lets a fair amount of air out of the system. it doesnt drop right to the bump stops though, and according to the nanocom it puts it at a height setting of 44 (normal level is about 140ish).

So, the questions are:

a) should it drop when you switch the engine off, and then rise again when you start it up

B) whats the correct waý to calibrate the height settings...using the nanocom if needed?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Neil.

Edited by BogMonster

a) No

B) Proper calibration involves 2 set height blocks which go in the bump stops, and a diagnostic computer like Testbook. I don't know if you can do it with a Nanocom or not.

Usually saggy air suspension is the air springs leaking, spray a mist of soapy water on the spring with a little trigger spray for watering plants and look for air bubbles usually around where the spring folds back inside itself as that is where they leak.

a) No

B) Proper calibration involves 2 set height blocks which go in the bump stops, and a diagnostic computer like Testbook. I don't know if you can do it with a Nanocom or not.

Usually saggy air suspension is the air springs leaking, spray a mist of soapy water on the spring with a little trigger spray for watering plants and look for air bubbles usually around where the spring folds back inside itself as that is where they leak.

Thanks for the reply.

The thing thats wierd about the suspension is that it wont deflate by itself..what I mean is once it's pumped up (which the compressor does easily), it'll stay up permanently. I've used the nanocom to tell the car that it's got coils on the back, rather than air and the bags havent deflated at all.

If there was a leek from the bags or piping it would sink whatever we were doing to it.

Furthermore, it never deflates all the way down - it's like its thinking "oh, my owners shut the engine off, but I'm way to high at the back, I'll let a certain amount of air out to this level", except that level is too low. As soon as you start it up it's pumping it back up again.

Neil.