oil on back brake disk

joe sharpe

can someone please advise me which parts i need to buy to cure this problem as i am new to this landrover jobbie,but wish i had bought one 10 year ago or even longer i have so many questions to ask all you people who know but dont like asking to much at one time.

cheers joe

On my TD5 I had oil on the rear brake disk. I was due to brake fluid leaking out of the brake caliper. I put a new caliper on to fix it. It was an easy job and cost £40 for the part.

It looks like I spoke too soon on this. I had another look and I still have oil on my disk. It looks like I also need a hub seal.

Cheers

Andy

It looks like I spoke too soon on this. I had another look and I still have oil on my disk. It looks like I also need a hub seal.

Cheers

Andy

Before you pull the hub unit out, remove the road wheel, take the calliper off the hub and hang it up out of the way, then carefully remove the ABS wheel sensor and put it somewhere clean and safe. Use something soft and flexable like a cable tie and push it into the hole where the ABS sensor fits. If it comes out with gear oil on it you will need a new/replacement hub unit. If no oil then all you need is a new hub to axel oil seal - about 50p. For your sake I hope it is the latter.

Good luck,

Peter

Before you pull the hub unit out, remove the road wheel, take the calliper off the hub and hang it up out of the way, then carefully remove the ABS wheel sensor and put it somewhere clean and safe. Use something soft and flexable like a cable tie and push it into the hole where the ABS sensor fits. If it comes out with gear oil on it you will need a new/replacement hub unit. If no oil then all you need is a new hub to axel oil seal - about 50p. For your sake I hope it is the latter.

Good luck,

Peter

Peter

Thanks very much for posting this. I've been fretting all day about this. New hubs are a serious price. I'll give this a try.

Cheers

Andy

Good luck,

Peter

I checked this today and could see plenty of oil in the ABS sensor hole. I didn't even need to push anything in. Now looking on ebay etc for a used hub. Groan!

Cheers

Andy

Hi Joe,

If thats your Disco in the pic then its not the TD5, think thats the 200 isn't it? My last one didn't have ABS so thats one less potential problem solved! There's an excellent post on the tech section, under 'How to' by Les. telling you (with great pics) how to do this job. Its on a front wheel but except for the odd bit, like the swivel bolts, its more or less the same. Did mine a short while ago, missed it and got a MOT fail so found the post and sorted. Good advice on the hub spanner and ensure you've got plenty of the right grease for the bearings.

I'm sure you've already down loaded the Landrover Disco Manual off here so check out the part numbs for the replacement gasket/seals at the same time, they're pennies as is the replacement locking washer. If you've not got the right tool to tap in the seal....be careful! And make sure it goes in the right way round too!

You can use tie wraps onto the spring to hold the caliper clear but I used an old welding rod. Take care not to crimp the brake pipe. On that note, a brake pipe flaring tool, while not cheap is a good buy and you've got it forever then. I got all the bits on line but I live in the middle of nowhere so used to the wait. :D

Like you, I'm a relative beginner but with the good advice from the members on here most things are 'do able' to the novice!!

Cheers and good luck

Rob

Hi Joe,

If thats your Disco in the pic then its not the TD5, think thats the 200 isn't it? My last one didn't have ABS so thats one less potential problem solved! There's an excellent post on the tech section, under 'How to' by Les. telling you (with great pics) how to do this job. Its on a front wheel but except for the odd bit, like the swivel bolts, its more or less the same. Did mine a short while ago, missed it and got a MOT fail so found the post and sorted. Good advice on the hub spanner and ensure you've got plenty of the right grease for the bearings.

I'm sure you've already down loaded the Landrover Disco Manual off here so check out the part numbs for the replacement gasket/seals at the same time, they're pennies as is the replacement locking washer. If you've not got the right tool to tap in the seal....be careful! And make sure it goes in the right way round too!

You can use tie wraps onto the spring to hold the caliper clear but I used an old welding rod. Take care not to crimp the brake pipe. On that note, a brake pipe flaring tool, while not cheap is a good buy and you've got it forever then. I got all the bits on line but I live in the middle of nowhere so used to the wait. :D

Like you, I'm a relative beginner but with the good advice from the members on here most things are 'do able' to the novice!!

Cheers and good luck

Rob

Cheers everyone for the advice ,Yes it is a 200, Off camping this weekend with a box of bits waiting to be put on when i return, once again its good to know there are people out there willing to help us novices.

big thanks joe.