200tdi emissions - Too high!!

hi

this is not a fix but will get it thro the MOT

turn the linkage so that there is slack when i did it last year to get my TD thro thwe mot i could only get 35mph out of it but it pass first rev

i've had to use this method to get my farthers shogun to pass for the last 4 years

but if vosa do roadside check it would fail when turned back up.

so not a fix but gets you the MOT

Firstly, presuming of course it is black smoke, i'd check the air filter for cleanliness as too little air = overfueling/smoke

I'd then renew the fuel filter and add some injector cleaner.

Lastly, get it good and warm and take it for a good, hard run. 30 miles or so should do it.

That way, you've done all the cheap, easy things.

If it's struggling to start, it may be worth checking the heater plugs, not that the 200 really needs them in normal conditions.

If this doesn't cure it, I would be looking at injectors and injector pump.

If it's blue smoke however, you should be looking in other oil-burning rather than overfueling problems.

I have just used exactly this procedure with a smoky 200TDI 110 CSW that I purchased, which had been sat for a year and had not been serviced for a while. It went from smoky old stinker to a good pass.

Good luck.

I usually stick half a bottle of Millers Diesel Sport additive in the tank before I take my 300 off for its yearly; cuts the smoke down quite a bit (and makes it fly!) and if I'm having real problems I have been know to remove the air filter when i get to the test centre. I wouldn't advise that tho, especially on a dusty day!

My friendly MOT tester says that if you are really stuck you can pop the fuel filter off and fill that directly with additive which will run the engine while the emissions are done, especially if they can use the newer quick emissions test cycle. Never tried it mind...

Does anyone know where i can get a workshop manual for the 200Tdi. I had a look in the tech archeive but the link to that german website was not working?

Just bought to CD's from the heritage centre £10 each special offer and it covers everything you will ever need from electricals to engines.

http://www.heritage-motor-centre.co.uk/sho...r-tp/index.html

Get the engine properly warmed up before presenting for an MOT. When the temperature gauge gets to warm then engine is mostly still cold. Go out and drive a minimum of 10 miles on open roads before going back for the test. This gets the oil hot as well as the injection pump etc.

As suggested above, you can adjust the throttle cable to give very minor throttle opening at full peddle travel. I would be very surprised to see a 200Tdi that is not knackered fail an MOT when presented properly warmed up.

HTH

Chris

Morning all!!

Got a problem with a 200tdi being a bit smokey for the MOT... well off the scale really!!!!

Any suggestion of what to "hit" to get the smoke down?

Many thanks

Neil

Adding some kerosene to your diesel will make even the most smoking old diesel pass emision test. Normally 1 part kerosene to 10 parts diesel will do.

Most of the "diesel additives" are based on kerosene or similar chemicals.

Kerosene has no lubricating properties, so add a litre of engine oil (new) to the tank after the test.

Such "cowboy-tricks" can sometimes be necessary, but a more correct approach would be to test the injectors for correct spray pattern, check engine timing and calibrate the high-pressure pump correctly.