disco 2 body side mouldings

marsie

From what I remember of the ones I have seen at work they are held on with "double sided sticky tape" as described. However the words "stick" "****" and "blanket" spring to mind...

I should think a lot of heat from a hot air gun would shift them but you'd need to be careful of the paint! :o

Some of mine are faded also but having tried to remove similar items from cars in the past which were also attached with double sided tape I have no intention of trying to remove them .

As bogmonster says they are well stuck on to put it mildly and you would probably end up with broken trim , damaged paintwork and probably bits that would apparently need an angle grinder to remove them .

I am hoping to come across some product that would at least restore the colour and leave it at that .

I think replacement trim is also expensive .

same on our disco 2 - started to fade a bit and also the top edges are all blobby from poorly applied polish etc from the previous owner.

Kiwi boot black seems to do the job of getting it nice and black for a fair amount of time - but its very time consuming to do and doesnt solve the problems of old polish build up on the tops.

I'm actually thinking of sanding the rough bits flat and roughing up the rest of the trim (VERY carefully by hand with fine wet/dry paper) and then painting them with a suitable satin finish.

Some of mine are faded also but having tried to remove similar items from cars in the past which were also attached with double sided tape I have no intention of trying to remove them .

As bogmonster says they are well stuck on to put it mildly and you would probably end up with broken trim , damaged paintwork and probably bits that would apparently need an angle grinder to remove them .

I am hoping to come across some product that would at least restore the colour and leave it at that .

I think replacement trim is also expensive .

if your looking for something to restore them and get the colour back try auto glym bumper care i have used it on my disco 1 bumper caps and arches and they look like new after a couple of coats ,hope this helps.

cheers joe.

thanks for the advice guys,job done today ;)

before

post-839-1222113987_thumb.jpg

after

post-839-1222114022_thumb.jpg

Getting the trims off was easy enough but it took almost 2 hours to remove all the sticky s**t that was left behind :huh: ,looks better now though and is much easier to polish without having to worry about having to getting polish all over the plastic bits :D

Paul B)

Thanks for that joe - will give it a try . Have heard of auto glym but never used any of their products .

I like the trim on the Disco and feel they look much better with the trim in place - certainly would never consider removing it .

As landroversforever has discovered they come off much easier when you don't want them to come off.

• 11 years later...

mine came off really easily, just undid the screws on the front ones and eased them off on a sunny day. sprayed wd40 on the remaining glue and wiped it off. Polished the paintwork up and then rubbed the trims down with some wet and dry and sprayed them black before sticking back on with some double sided tape.