downs and ups of S3 ownership

Exmoor Beast

Just been tryng to start the S3.

Battery on charge all night and says its at 13V by my meter but it won't turn the damn thing over. So i got the 110 over and popped the jump leads on , turned over but very slowly. I kept trying like a prat and then wondered why I have a huge burn blister on my hand when I came to remove the jump leads! DOH!! Ran out of time so back again now for a meeting in a few minutes...

Should I go for a jump start behind the 110 next? or buy some decent jump leads or swap the battery from the 110 to start it?

on the upside someone stopped me and gave me a job whilst I was there messing about :)

Will B)

DON'T TRY AGAIN YET!!!!

Sounds more like either the starter is shot and drawing too much current, or there is something mechanically seized (or even nipped-up) within the engine, either bores, big ends or something else.

By trying to jump it from a known good vehicle you have proven it is not a battery issue (hence the stupidly hot jump leads due to heavy current draw)

Sounds like a starter issue. I know my IIa was very reluctant to start untill I fiddled with the starter.

Check the main connection to the back of the solenoid - If this is loose, and not making much contact, then it will be slow under load.

Other than that, you will have to take the starter off. Once it is off, put 12V accross it, and see if it will spin without load. If it will spin freely, then it is probably an engine issue, otherwise you will need either a new starter, or at a very minimum to replace the brushes and clean the contact surface (can see it in my head, but I can't remember it's name!).

Sounds like more fun with series ownership!

Mark

I thought jumping across a bad battery with a good one gave the same effect as a bad battery?

Also skinny jump cables will overheat anyway.

Les. :)

unless it was a short-circuited battery, which since it held a charge confirmed that this was not the case, the support vehicle with it's good battery and good charging system, would mask the affects of a bad battery on the donar vehicle :)

As a Defender owner with bolted-in seats, I'm gaining more and more respect for the 'tow it and start it' method since jump lead access is such a pain. It's only cost two back doors so far (well, the same one twice actually, but the second time we were towing backwards and he couldn't see because of the aluminium rivetted over where the back window broke first time...)

As a Defender owner with bolted-in seats, I'm gaining more and more respect for the 'tow it and start it' method since jump lead access is such a pain. It's only cost two back doors so far (well, the same one twice actually, but the second time we were towing backwards and he couldn't see because of the aluminium rivetted over where the back window broke first time...)

Why not fit one of the large power connectors http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.co.uk/V...l/battisol.html to the bulkhead. Makes jump starting easyer as you dont have to take the seat out.

in the absence of a starting handle or a decent set of Jump leads i will swap batterys first after cleaning up the starter connections.

there was plenty of oil in it whilst laid up so hopefully nothing is binding within.

Will :)

Will, if it has been laid up have you checked all of the earths? might have a corroded engine to chassis earth? I can almost guarantee an earth or battery terminal will always give trouble on a Land Rover........

I presume you haven't connected both jump leads to the terminals on the S3 battery? If you have, try changing it so that the -ve is connected to the S3s engine block, and the +ve is connected to the battery terminal. Always works best that way. ;)

Paul :)

I think its narrowed down to the starter :) the + connection at the starter seems a bit wobbly for want of a better word, not a good sign I would think. It does turn the engine but only very slowly and it does cook the wiring.

Used a starting handle to turn the engine over so its not seized or even binding from the feel of it.

As soon as I can find some help I can trust I will have a go at Bump starting it I think :)

Will B)

I think its narrowed down to the starter :) the + connection at the starter seems a bit wobbly for want of a better word, not a good sign I would think. It does turn the engine but only very slowly and it does cook the wiring.

Used a starting handle to turn the engine over so its not seized or even binding from the feel of it.

As soon as I can find some help I can trust I will have a go at Bump starting it I think :)

Will B)

If it turns ok with the starting handle, why not trying starting it that way?, as others have suggested.

Have you checked all the wiring in the starting circuit. I had problems with my Series, and it turned out to the crimp connector on the battery + terminal. I had similar symptoms to what you've described.

If it turns ok with the starting handle, why not trying starting it that way?, as others have suggested.

Have you checked all the wiring in the starting circuit. I had problems with my Series, and it turned out to the crimp connector on the battery + terminal. I had similar symptoms to what you've described.

I have cleaned up every terminal I can see thats relevant to no avail.

I borrowed the handle off a bloke I know vaguely as he was passing and gave it straight back, I thought it would be hopeless with a completely dead battery???? maybe not. Either way its a damn sight easier to tow it than huff and puff ;)

Will :)

Why not fit one of the large power connectors http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.co.uk/V...l/battisol.html to the bulkhead. Makes jump starting easyer as you dont have to take the seat out.

Although it'll not solve the problems u r having starting i'd also reccomend these battery connectors! I'm in the process of installing them on all the company vehicles and engine driven equipment on the airport, as the equipments always flat when you need it! Typically snow clearance equipment! a long lead with plugs on each end can charge between 2 socketed vehicles with no chance of connecting them wrongly or them slipping off the terminals and shorting on metal work. Ive also made up a crocodile clip converter for one end so i can charge vehicles that don't have sockets.

slightly OT but never mind!