Putting two forward facing seats into a the rear of a 90

I am interested in putting two forward facing seats into the back of a 300TDi 90, principally for two kids. I have looked at very expensive options from Exmoor Trim (getting on for a grand for a pair), but these are just too expensive. Other options come from elsehwere, but all the foldup ones seem to sit in the middle of the load space, rather than nearer the outside, making getting in and out a pain.

I was wondering if anyone had had a go at tucking in a pair of front seats into the back corners with fabricated rail supports and seat belt mounts ?

I note there are various brackets available for the top seat belt mount, so the equivalent of two floor level ones should not be that difficult.

I don't have a problem about making the belt and seat mounts strong enough, but what about getting it through MoT ?

Any thoughts ?

PS Apologies if this has been done to death elsewhere and I missed it.

PPS Saving up for a 110 !

Put one facing backwards up agenced the passenger side bulkhead & the other facing forward near back on the drivers side, this would give access past the rear most seat threw the rear door & would allow the kids to interact with each other more easily.

Remember you would need 2 right hand side (o/s) seats to do this or left hand seats to position oppositely.

:unsure:

i looked at putting in some fixed seats in the rear - but even with smallish seats from a fiesta or something simillar, there left very little room between the 2 seats to get in and out.

Ended up with the cheaper folding exmore seats. Cant use a baby seat in them - but if your kids are old enough not to need a baby seat, then they are very nice and comfy and easy to use.

i looked at putting in some fixed seats in the rear - but even with smallish seats from a fiesta or something simillar, there left very little room between the 2 seats to get in and out.

Ended up with the cheaper folding exmore seats. Cant use a baby seat in them - but if your kids are old enough not to need a baby seat, then they are very nice and comfy and easy to use.

Nicks,

I have struggled to understand what Exmoor meant about 'baby seats', maybe you can help me.

Satrting from the yougest child upwards:

I have one which faces to the rear for a baby up to about 6 months old, which clips into a frame held by a seatbelt. That will not ever be fitted in the 90.

Then we have one which is from about 6 months to about 4 years, which is held by a seatbelt, and currently fits in the centre seat in the front. Do I take it that the cheaper Exmoor seat is not suitable for that, if so is it easy for you to describe why ?

Finally there are booster seats which are a bit like cushions an older child sits on and then wears a normal seatbelt. Would a cheaper Exmoor seat accommodate one of these ?

It seems to me that car manufacturers and accessory people are especially cautious when it comes to baby seat stuff, probably because they all want to avoid being sued. Hence for new stuff it is either type approved or you cannot do it. It is very difficult to get a reasoned, engineering discussion. I am pretty sure that with some decent box section and spreader plates, you could easily fit a seat in the load area which was fixed much more strongly than, for instance, the OE driver's seat on a 12 year old truck.

All advice much appreciated

Regards

Richard

from my research the only forward facing rear seat for a 90 that is approved for use with a baby seat (0-6month and 6month+) is the mega expensive exmoor trim folding seat.

OR the new forward facing folding seat found in new defender pumas.

both are mega-bucks.

But the reason they are child seat friendly is they obviously have one anchor point where the seat pivots on the wheelbox - but they also fully lock into place on the tub floor when folded out. They also have an integrated (and EC rated) 3 point belt and anchor points built into the seat - like the old rangie classic front seats.

the other type of forward facing seat from exmoor is the cheaper standard folding seat. About £120 istr. These are only anchored on the wheel box at the hinge and when folded out, the inner side just rests on the tub floor on a fold out bit of tube. Very comfy and nice - BUT, they are not fully fixed in position on both sides of the seat and dont have an integral seat belt. You then have to buy the add-on 3 point belt and brackets - about £50 ish.

Because the installation is done by you, and the seat belt positioning and spreader plates are also done by you, and the seat itself doesnt positively lock into position - they cannot give EC rating for child seat approval. Not saying it wont be safe for a childseat if fitted properly - but imho it aint worth the risk.

the other option is to build your own - like you suggested. But again it wont be EC approved for a child seat and if the worst did happen, your insurance company might not be impressed and the guilt you would endure if it didnt do the job .... well enough said.

I did toy with the idea of using an early rangie classic front seat with integrated seat belt and bolting one side runner straight to the wheelbox with a 4mm full length spreader plate above and below - basically 4mm plate 2 foot long and 6" wide above and below - and then building out of thick box section a frame for the other side and again bolting that through the floor using full length 4mm spreader plates. All the bolts would basically be towball bolts with massive washers. Totally over engineered and much stronger than how it was fitted in a range rover!!!

But I then decided to find out how hard it was to get in and out with a baby through the back door with fixed seats in. I put a couple of chairs in the back and bungee corded my baby seat to one of them and had a go at fitting a doll into the seat. Bloody hard work, cramped and awkward. If the baby was to wriggle as well it would be impossible! In the end i decided that violet could sit up front with me where its safe and approved and easy to access and the missus can sit in the back on a cheapy exmoor foldout seat :lol:

In a few years when violet is old enough to use a booster seat cushion and not need a child seat - i may have a rethink, as i reckon the normal exmoor seat currently fitted would be fine with one of those booster cushions.

:ph34r::ph34r: the other option i very very seriously considered was selling the 90 and buying a swb landcruiser 3lt TD. They are about the same size as a 90, better turning circle even with 33" tyres fitted, slightly more powerful than a 300tdi, with a little work can flex as good as a 90, they dont break down much and they have a proper rear seat like a car with proper seat belts in! Problem solved. But i'm a stupid sentimental old git and kept the 90 :ph34r::ph34r: