oil in the intercooler

foxy

I think it leaks out from the turbo. As I understand it its the boost pressure the turbo creates that holds the oil back on these as I dont think they have oil seals in.

I just wash mine out with petrol every now ond then; then stick it back on.

Mark

We had a Defender 300Tdi with a power problem. Ok, it did have 600 000 kms on it, but the engine and turbo had done only about half that. I noticed when I test drove it that as I lifted off to change gear there was a big puff of black smoke out of the exhaust. We took out the intercooler and found it just about blocked with burnt on oil deposits. It took quite a bit of cleaning including soaking in engine cleaner for the weekend. After that it went just fine.

What was happening was that the turbo pressurises the system, and when I lifted off, the pressure in the system could not release quickly. This caused the injector pump to think that the turbo was still boosting, so it would overfuel momentarily until the pressure dropped, causing the puff of black smoke.

We had a Defender 300Tdi with a power problem. Ok, it did have 600 000 kms on it, but the engine and turbo had done only about half that. I noticed when I test drove it that as I lifted off to change gear there was a big puff of black smoke out of the exhaust. We took out the intercooler and found it just about blocked with burnt on oil deposits. It took quite a bit of cleaning including soaking in engine cleaner for the weekend. After that it went just fine.

What was happening was that the turbo pressurises the system, and when I lifted off, the pressure in the system could not release quickly. This caused the injector pump to think that the turbo was still boosting, so it would overfuel momentarily until the pressure dropped, causing the puff of black smoke.

hi all we have a 96 300 Tdi auto Disco that had power problems when towing. I put a straight through exhaust on it, blanked off the ERG and i have just had a upgraded drop in intercooler delivered from Brunnel Performance. I will let you know if there are any further improvements but the exhaust mod made a vast difference so the CAT must have been clogged up.

Does any one know if the intercooler can be fitted without taking the fan out ?

Thanks

Andy

you may find it's a build up of oil from the breather my last disco had it and my TD90 used to get it in the air fillter

if i were you next time it's running take the breather pipe off see how much blow buy there is if there quite a bit i'd think thats were its come from.