Fitting Central Locking to a Defender 90

Right, so today I installed Central Locking in my 90, and I thought I'd share with you guys the process I took. So this is how I did it:

The kit I bought was off that well-known auction site, cost me £35 delivered from Germany, and consists of the following:

- 2 x Keyfobs (with blank keys)

- Remote control 'brain' unit

- Mounting brackets

- Actuator linkages

- Wiring loom (!)

- 4 x Actuators

post-10578-1222283596_thumb.jpg

First job is to get the door cards off, and reel at the rusty mess that lies beneath (in my case :lol:)

post-10578-1222283808_thumb.jpg

Then one must (through trial and error) find the best position for the actuator. Luckily the position shown below happens to be perfect, the actuator clears the window by around 1/8", spot on :)

post-10578-1222283874_thumb.jpg

Once happy with positioning, drill holes for and mount the actuator with the bracket. Notice the bend I put in, this becomes even more important later on...

post-10578-1222284151_thumb.jpg

I put a bend in the linkage rod as well, to match with the orientation of the rod it's connecting to. The block screws down with the three screws shown.

post-10578-1222284394_thumb.jpg

At this point I should note that I hooked up the brain unit and did a dummy run, to make sure the actuator would work in the orientation I had placed it in. It did, so on we go.

The opposite door is (obviously) a mirror image of the other one in terms of general placement, but I made it bespoke just to be sure.

post-10578-1222284679_thumb.jpg

Drivers door completed setup (notice awful rust again ^_^)

post-10578-1222284756_thumb.jpg

Cue expletives. It seems my bend was not in the right place (see above). The door card fouls it where it is recessed. A bit of re-bending on each side with the pliers and it fits okay again.

post-10578-1222284842_thumb.jpg

After that it's just a case of figuring out the wiring loom. My kit had wiring for four actuators, so I had some extra wire to lose, which I did behind the dashboard trim. The wires in the doors are wrapped in leccy tape, then fed out below the check linkages. They then run under the dash (in a handy channel), and behind the fusebox cover. From there they go to the brain unit, which is stuck to the underside of the passenger footwell. The wiring is all biased to the passenger side, that is to say that the wires are shorter that side, so it had to be in that footwell for the passenger door wires to reach. Other kits may differ obviously. This placement meant I had to extend the live feed to the unit, which I did by splicing in some wire of the same gauge (leaving the fuse as close to the battery as possible), and running this from the battery box, under the transmission tunnel trim, and into the fusebox area. It's earthed on the fusebox plate.

I'm going to take the key blanks to the local key place, and see if they can cut the truck's ignition key pattern into them, would let me lose another key off my keyring.

Hope that is of use to anyone planning something similar :)

I did the same to my defender about two years ago. Remote alarm with central locking the best thing I ever did. Mine turned out to be more complicated, the remote part was the alarm, then into an interface box then into the central locking module.

Mark

Didn't attempt that, couldn't see any way of using the actuator to operate the lock.

I suppose I could attatch the linkage to the little lock tab, but I'll have to think about it.

What a great post - its not a job i need now but fantastic to put all including expletives -

Is there any post that have the same for rubbing down and prpping a 90 for brush painting - i do not know where to sart - what to remove what to mask etc and what to use to prep -

any suggestions PM or reply

cheers

chrisp

I only ever got around to doing the driver and pasenger door on my truck but I have got the kit for doing the rear door from a comany off the web that also do after market leci windows. Its abit of a job as you have to drill the rear lock open and weld a braket on the little black leaver on the inside.

My thort (one day) would be to use a TD5 rear door as the trim panel is designed for it.

Mark

I only ever got around to doing the driver and pasenger door on my truck but I have got the kit for doing the rear door from a comany off the web that also do after market leci windows. Its abit of a job as you have to drill the rear lock open and weld a braket on the little black leaver on the inside.

My thort (one day) would be to use a TD5 rear door as the trim panel is designed for it.

Mark

Ii have also done this and used the standard locking mechanism for the rear door, i drilled out the little tab that locks door and fabricate a bit of stiff wire to operate it i will take some photo and post!!

yes, you can fit that on the rear door. you need a strip of metal with round holes (how do i describe them?) they are the ones used when you wrap around logs and the round holes allow for large nails to be hammered in when building a log bridge.

then link that to the push rod and then to the lock pump. done. it's almost diagonal across the rear door. works well for me. so the pump actually pushes the rod to push that metal strip with round holes which is hooked to the rear door lock and slides is up or down.

So what do I need to fit remote central locking to my 2004 Defender 110? It has the LR alarm, operated by a button which looks the same as the remote central locking buttons on better spec'd Defenders. Is it just a case of adding actuators and plugging them into something existing?

Chris

here picture of how my rear door lock works it looks crude but does the job!!

That's what I tried today, but I couldn't find any metal to bolt my mounts too...it was all rusted away :ph34r:

One to try when I get a new rear door I think :D

Only problem I found was getting the linear motion of the actuator to operate the curved path of the locking tab. Some clever trickery with linkage rod bends, or a rotary bracket may be required. Time will tell.

On that note, does anyone with factory fitted central locking on the rear door have a photo of how LR did it themselves?

So what do I need to fit remote central locking to my 2004 Defender 110? It has the LR alarm, operated by a button which looks the same as the remote central locking buttons on better spec'd Defenders. Is it just a case of adding actuators and plugging them into something existing?

Chris

Give these guys a call Clicky. I bought an entire CDL system with remote controls. Not the cheapest but excellent OEM quality. The remote ECU can also integrate with their immobilser and alarm systems. You could just add the locking motors to your remote system.

post-7124-1222363587_thumb.jpg

Fitting to early lift handle doors is not so easy as the door trim leaves far less room for the gubbins.

post-7124-1222363527_thumb.jpg

I also did the back door, again the early type lock. I took the lock apart and modified to suit. Alas I don't have any pictures behind the trim panel or inside the lock.

post-7124-1222364045_thumb.jpg

Michael

• 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi all, Newbie to the forum here and already need advice!!

Ive read some of the fitting advice on the forum and now Im fitting central locking to my 99 td5 myself, fitting is not a problem,wiring it up is! where can i wire up to? do i go straight from the battery for power or behind fuse panel or go from ECU? could it be matched up to my immobiliser key fob? This is my first td5 and ive not been used to my landy having a brain!!! Ha Ha.. :D :D :D