Series Disc Brakes

ltwt1981

Got the front disc brakes on and working.

Seems to need a firmer push on the pedal than before, but not bedded in yet.

Pedal is very hard, very little movement so no air.

Only had a perfunctory test so not yet definitive, any thoughts Tonk, Jon White?

Will push on with rears soon and check servo operation this weekend.

Will see you at MWWCE and if not happy by then get a second opinion.

The TIC instructions of which I have a copy say that for theirs more pedal pressure may be needed, can't see why.

I found exactly this.

I was previously running the late series 3 duel circuit master and servo.

Both Tonk and I have since changed over to early 110 type servos. You need to change the complete pedal assembly and servo unit, but the series master will bolt up to it so no need to re-bleed etc. The 110 servo is bigger and makes the world of difference.

However its a bit longer on I needed to trim the inner wing back to suit. Never looked under the bonnet of a LWT so dont know if it'd need trimming.

Rears is easy peasy and virtually bolt on. See this thread for details.

Cheers

Jon

i'll have a look at slindon if u want, u can also look at my set up ;)

early 110 servo is the way to go, plenty out there too, i paid nothing for mine :P

let them bed in and see if they improve.

which pads u running? which master do u have? with servo?

The bigger servo makes no difference to the braking abilities - it simply reduces the pedal pressure required.

I found mine stopped fine, but for heavy (ie emergency stop) type braking you really needed both feet on the pedal!

110 servo sorted that - just make sure you get an early (small diameter) one. The later ones wont fit.

Cheers

Jon

• 1 month later...

does anyone have the fitting manual for TIC's disc brakes and can make it available to me? ;) even if it's not necessary and the general information found on this and other forums is enough, I'd still like to have a copy of it...

all the discussion about disc brakes on series is usually only for the front axle... what if discs will also be fitted to the rear axle? what's involved / needs to be done?

Surely its a question of centring the disc on the hub with no run out. I've made a template in ally to mark the holes in the disc, it sits inside the rear of the disc. On the hub I made another template to fit over the wheel studs ( used an old drum) its then easy and right. With TIC and a 262mm disc it must need a fair bit ground off the hub to fit the caliper I would think, it only just goes in with 302mm discs.